Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Recipes - Healthier breads, muffins, etc

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/08, 10:43 PM
I will add some posts to this tomorrow as well.

I have found a really dense, healthy bread from Germany that has sunflowers in it - it is called Mestemacher and they make a few different types. Look in the 'ethnic' section of your grocery, if they have one.

I toast a slice and top it with a big spoonful of natural peanutbutter that i have mixed a scoopful of ON whey protein into (flavorless)

--------------
You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.
- David Viscott

chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/11, 08:40 PM
Pineapple Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup unbleached flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat bran
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup splenda (Granular)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
8 ounces crushed pineapple in juice -- undrained
1/2 cup egg beaters® 99% egg substitute
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Blend dry ingredients. Mix remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir into flour mixture just until flour is moistened. Pour into pan. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Book showed 9 servings, 158 cal, 33 gr carb, 5 gr protein, 1 gr fat. From "Quick and Healthy Volume 2" by Brenda Ponichtera, pg 63

(Was originally 1/2 cup brown sugar - I tweaked it to 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup Splenda. kc)

Description:
"A high-fiber coffee cake with a distinctive pineapple flavor. A heavy-textured bread due to the "healthy" ingredients, it can also be considered a dessert cake."

Yield: "1 8x8 pan"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 122 Calories; 1g Fat (4.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 318mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/15, 05:09 PM
Citrus flax muffins
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups oat bran
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup flax seeds -- ground
1 cup bran
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
2 orange -- quartered
1 cup milk, skim
1/2 cup canola oil
2 egg -- beaten
1 cup sugar
Mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.

In food processer, blend oranges, eggs, milk oil and sweetener until well mixed.
Mix wet in to dry and stir until just mixed
pour into 24 muffin cups
bake at 375 F for 18 - 20 minutes
Note: if you substitue Splenda for the sugar the points value remains the same.
Description:
"4 grams of fibre and 1 Healthy Oil serving!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 152 Calories; 8g Fat (42.1% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 18mg Cholesterol; 158mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/15, 07:41 PM
Healthier popovers

3/4c white flour
1/4c wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1c skim milk
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, mix all ingredients in bowl and beat by hand until mixed, but don't overmix them.

Put into 12 pre-sprayed muffin tins.

Bake 20 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350 and bake anopther 20 minutes.

Serve with smart balance or all fruit spread.

I will let you know how these turn out and if the hubby and kids like them tomorrow, because right now the popovers are in the oven....

--------------
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
- Henry David Thoreau

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/16, 06:20 PM
The popovers were good and got full fasmily approval, especially when served with blueberry all-fruit spread.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/09/20, 08:49 AM
Sweet potato bread with flaxseed and honey

This is from a Cooking Light cookbook, my daughter and I made this and everyone really liked it - even my no-sweet-potato-eating daughter!

1/3c flaxseed
2c all-purpose flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 oz (1/4c) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp butter, softened
1/4c brown sugar splenda, packed (or 1/2c reg brown sugar, packed)
1/4c honey
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1c mashed sweet potatoes (we used the canned kind that are not packed in syrup)
cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Place flaxseed in a clean coffee grinder or blender and process until coarsely ground. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with knife. Combine flaxseed, flour, baking powder,baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in the center of mixture. Beat cream cheese and next 5 ingredients in a seperate bowl; stir in sweet potato. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just moist (it is pretty thick, not like batter at all).
3. spoon into an 8X4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack, remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

Makes 16 servings (1/2 inch slices)
Per serving (the carb count will be a little lower with the splenda brown sugar)
Calories 171
Fat 5.1g
Protein 3.6g
CHO 29g
Fiber 1.8g
Calcium 44mg
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/01/21, 08:30 AM
This is from the Quick and Easy South Beach Cookbook - I like them a lot. My family ate them but probably wouldn't request them, lol. They stay pretty moist and are sweet enough for me.

Pear Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cups whole-grain pastry flour
1c wheat bran
2 tbsp granular sugar substitute ( i may have used 3 by accident, lol)
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4c 1% or fat-free buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tbsp canola oil
1 bosc pear, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a (12 count)muffin tin with paper lines or spray lightly with cooking spray.
Combine flour, bran, sugar sub, cinamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, eggs, oil, pear and vanilla in another bowl.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix just to combine; do not overmix. Divide batter evenly into muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool and serve.

Per muffin
130 calories
5g fat, 1/2g sat
5g protein
20g carbohydrate
5g fiber
200 mg sodium
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/30, 07:16 PM
Gagirl's whole wheat english muffins

1/2 cup non-fat powdered milk
1 tablespoon sugar ( I use 2-4 packs of splenda could use honey too)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon shortening ( I use smart balance)
1 cup hot water
1 envelope dry yeast (2.5 Teaspoons bread machine yeast at room temp)
1/8 teaspoon sugar ( the yeasty beastys need this)
1/3 cup warm water
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted ( I use 100% stone ground whole wheat flour)
Non-stick vegetable spray
Special equipment: electric griddle, 3-inch metal rings, see Cook's Note*

In a bowl combine the powdered milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, shortening, and hot water, stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Let cool. In a separate bowl combine the yeast and 1/8 teaspoon of sugar in 1/3 cup of warm water and rest until yeast has dissolved. Add this to the dry milk mixture. Add the sifted flour and beat thoroughly with wooden spoon. Cover the bowl and let it rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes. ( I let mine rise for 45-60 min they dont seem as dense)
Preheat the griddle to 300 degrees F.

Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt to mixture and beat thoroughly. Place metal rings onto the griddle and coat lightly with vegetable spray. Using #20 ice cream scoop, place 2 scoops into each ring and cover with a pot lid or cookie sheet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and flip rings using tongs. Cover with the lid and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a cooling rack, remove rings and cool. Split with fork and serve.

*Cooks note... or use tuna cans top n bottom cut out. I also spread the dough out with my fingers in the "ring" spray fingers down with oil first! Oh you can add cinnamon.. raisens(yuck) Wheat Germ added is interesting.