Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Read to learn to love cottage cheese

roger23
roger23
Puerto Rico
2008/07/09, 06:49 PM
Have you ever tried cottage cheese but couldn't stomach it? Don't give up! Let me show you how to...

If you have learned of the benefits of cottage cheese for your health and diet, got excited, then tried it and... almost had to spit it out then listen to what I've got to say.

Several years ago when I started to be more involved in eating right and body building I learned about the benefits of cottage cheese and how great of a snack it was, especially as a pre-bed snack. All excited, I bought a big bucket, tried it once... couldn't take it (too yucky). Decided to try it some days later, but for some reason the expiration date caught up before I could make the decision so had to throw it away. Gave up and didn't try it again ever since...

Over a month ago in the supermarket I was going over the yogurt section and found that Breakstone made these cottage cheese "snack packs" which had some marmelade (fruit jelly) to mix in. I bought 2 just for giggles (doubting I would finish one), got home mixed it in, tried it, and was amazed that not only could I eat it, I actually enjoyed it thoroughly. Next day i went back to the supermarket and bought 20.

So over the month I kept eating them as snacks, but we all would like to avoid all the sugar that comes with this jelly right! So I decided to finish my monthly batch, allowing for my taste buds to get accustomed to the texture and taste. Then I bought just the cottage cheese (with no mixer or jelly) to see how I could take it and amazingly enough I could eat it just fine, I finally acquired the taste for it.

So now I am proud to say (after many years) that I can eat cottage cheese without feeling disgusted.

Now, if any of you out there want to try this or help someone else you might know that still hasn't conquered their cottage cheese disgust then try what I did for a month. If you can't find that specific product then try mixing it with some regular jelly. Make sure you mix plenty of jelly and if you can get a jelly with a more liquid texture, so it mixes well, then even better. I can guarantee that you will get accustomed to the cottage cheese texture and a partial taste of it (since it is masked by the fruit jelly) and finally be able to eat it by itself.

Hope it is helpful to some of you. And if I am the only person in this forum that for some reason couldn't take cottage cheese before, then label me as a loser or whatever seems pleasing. Nonetheless it was a proud success for me :-)

Enjoy!
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/07/23, 11:17 AM
I HATE cottage cheese. It's like swallowing a mouth full of milk boogers. But I guess if I can learn to love broccoli, I can give cottage cheese a second chance!
laxqu3692
laxqu3692
United States
2008/07/23, 02:22 PM
friendship brand also makes a "whipped" low fat (1%) cottage cheese that's pretty good, and alleviates the awkward curd texture.