Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Questions on BPM

sugarpeeps
sugarpeeps
Canada
2012/02/08, 05:10 PM
I am just starting to get my butt in gear to get in shape and have set up a couple of workout plans on this site.  I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answer too.

When it talks about cardio, the workout plan only states I should go for 10 minutes, and to keep a certain beats per minute count.  My questions are as follows:

Is this 10 minutes AFTER I have reached the BPM?

How do I know how fast to go to obtain the ideal BPM?

If anyone could help me out, it would be SUPER DEE DUPER!!!  I want to make sure I am doing this right :D
2012/02/08, 05:42 PM
Here is a calculator:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/healthtool-target-heart-rate-calculator

The ten minute thing is for a just starting out rookie. You should be able to build up to 30 minutes in a relatively short time. You definetly want to do a 5 to 10 minute warm up and cool down. I do about 30 minutes at 90% of my max and about 45 minutes at 70%. 70% is better for burning calories. if you're walking. Incline on the treadmill burns more calories.
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/02/08, 09:08 PM
The whole thing with cardio exercises is to slowly ramp up to a desired heart rate.  Basically, the longer you can stand to stay at the level (or within 3 beats of it on either side) the more calories you'll burn.

That said, you want to be really careful about increasing.  The rule of thumb is, don't increase resistance and time in the same week.  This is because your joints and ligaments don't recover and adapt as quickly as your cardiovascular/cardiopulmonary systems do.  Same with muscles...they adapt much more quickly than joins and ligaments.  So, if you decide to go for longer, go up another 5 minutes.  10 would be pushing it for beginners...but don't go up 5 minutes AND bump up the resistance 2 notches...that's a bit too much stress on the body.

Exercise and training should be smooth.  The more you jar your body, the more you risk injury, and the less effective what you're working at will be for improving your fitness.  You'll start out around 100-120 bpm, and slowly (over a few minutes) work your way up to your target heart rate.  Keep it there for as long as you can, and then slowly bring your heart rate back down again (cool off).

I'd estimate that the 10 minute rule mentioned is all inclusive, but there's no reason you can't go for longer, like Charlie says.

-Herald