Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Questions about my workout...

senor
senor
United States
2010/01/30, 06:40 PM

Hey. A few questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

1. I don't have a spotter, so I'm unsure of how to maximize the bench press. If I fatigue myself or go too heavy, I can wind up dropping the weights on myself. Thus, I play it safe and rack the bar as soon as I feel like I probably can;t do another rep. The only problem is that I don't know how to make my muscles grow at that point because I'm not "maxing out". What can I do?

2. I continuously do the same workout routines, using mostly free weights. I've read that this is bad because your body adapts to the workout which then makes it ineffective. However, I have also read that the core exercises (bench, squat, row, curl, deadlifts, military presses) are what are needed. So if I have to repeat these exercises, how do I vary them as well?

3. I want to shed some fat from my midsection. I also want to add some muscle to my chest etc. Is this possible to do simultaneously? I have read contradicting info on this. Some say you can't so it because one requires a caloric deficit and the other a caloric surplus. But others say it can be done with intake of the correct nutrients. Which is correct?

Thanks!!