Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Protien and training

Tndrkiss4u
Tndrkiss4u
United States
2003/12/03, 07:46 AM
I posted this in another area too because I am in need of help!

Hello! I've been a lurker for quite some time. My name is Kathie. I recently got back into training and even hired a personal trainer at the gym I attend. So far, I'm on the right track and I feel great! =) So, why am I posting? My nutrition plan is consisting of eating 5x a day. As stated above, each meal has a protien source as well as a vegetable and 'once a day' i have a carb (ie brown rice). I've been on this for two weeks so far and feel great progress. HOWEVER, and i'm about to get really personal here *blushes*, this high protien diet has my stomach in knots!!!!!! Needless to say, I'm very gassy, bloaded, and well, it's just very embarrasing!!! Is this normal? Does it stop? Is there any way to make it stop? I haven't slept well in two nights because of this. I am also about to stop this nutrition plan because of it. I do not want to at all for fear my training will not get the results I am looking for (ie tone but with a lot more definition) due to not eating properly. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!
Tndrkiss4u
Tndrkiss4u
United States
2003/12/04, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys!!!!

My trainer has me on a Protien Shake (Optimum)in the morning when I first wake up. Then one for breakfast with a banana. Then my every 3 hrs starts. I'll either have protien(mainly chicken, salmon, cod and some round steak) w/my brown rice and 2 cups veggies or tuna and salsa w/veggies...I'm only getting in two shakes right now ..still trying to get that third one in. hehe! I've been using the Whey protien from the juice bar when i grab that from the gym and it doesn't bother me so I can opt that out. I have been mixing the Salsa w/the chicken and brown rice and veggies then three hours later MORE salsa and tuna..I'm thinking that may be a possibility too. Looks like I'm thinking on the right track. I started to eliminate things yesterday to see what the specific cause is. It is SO embarrasing!!!!

BB - Your wife problem seems that it might be mine too. I'll have to try that. I used to be a BIG veggie and fruit person but the last two years were harsh and I wasn't into the regime like I was before that time. I'm starting to get back into it heavily for two months now and just two weeks w/the diet.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!! I'll keep it up and play the good old trial and error game.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/12/03, 07:05 PM
Well, glad you stopped lurking and joined in.
What are you getting your protein from? Dairy? MEats? Any Supplements?
If it's dairy you might be a little lactose intolerant, If it is supplement, it may be a low quality or again lactose problem, but can't tell you much more. What do you weigh, and how much protein are you consuming?

--------------
"A will finds a way"
Ivan Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/12/03, 08:30 PM
Are you using a protein supplement? A whey concentrate taken by itself can cause these symptoms. Whey protein concentrate is higher in fat, carbs, and lactose than whey isolate. Due to its low acidity and low temp. manufacturing process, WPC tends to keep more of the important protein subfractions intact. The downfall is taken alone, the lactose can lead to digestive problems such as gas, bloating and diarreah.

If this is not the case, I would suggest starting to eliminate something from your diet one thing at a time, till it stops. This should find your answer. My wife had this problem. She started eliminating thins, she found that eating her carbs (rice, pasta, etc.) together with the protein caused this. When she split them up, it stopped. For instance, if she has steak and rice, this messes with her. But, if she just has the steak, and later has maybe some rice and veggies, this in no way bothers her. This works for her, may not be right for you though. We all have different systems.

One more thing, if you just started on lots of veggies, and have not been eating them much beforehand, this takes some getting used to in some folks. It can and will initially cause some gas and bloating.

Hope this helps, troubleshoot your system and find out what it is! Good luck to you.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....