Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16612

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Protein supplements - weight loss progr

flogg
flogg
Ireland
2007/11/14, 06:13 AM
i've just started in the gym in the last two months. My current goals are weight loss and a general tone up. I have a lot of body fat to lose at this stage, so a six pack is far from my thoughts at the minute but I was wondering whether I should be taking any sort of protein supplements after a work out? Is there any real benefit to them if your just doing some light weights three times a week as well as cardio?

Also, are there any other supplements I should consider
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/11/14, 07:59 AM
Hi flogg, welcome to freetrainers, im alot like you, alot of fat to get rid of and from what ive learned I use BSN's syntha-6 ( or equivalent ) whey protein usually an hour before i go to the gym, and as soon as im done i have another shake at the gym ( They let me store my powder there and mix it with fruit or whatever i want for a dollar ). sometimes ill even have a 3rd shake at night depending on my days food log and my caloric fat/carbs/protein needs for the day.....

As far as supplements go, im not big on them right now, mainly because i dont really understand the stacking ideas and what benefit they may have for me, as i learn more as i go, and lose more fat and build some muscle, i may want more results and try some supplements and stacking, with the guidance of someone who knows ( Not the 19 year old kid at gnc )...

I do recommend a good diet and a good multi vitamin, for example i use twin labs maxi-life multi v's twice a day, and 1-2 gallons of water a day also, seems like alot but its a big help in shedding those pounds....

Here's a little something i found on the net about whey protein...

Benefits of Whey Protein
There are a ton of benefits to taking whey protein. The most popular benefit is that of helping to increase lean muscle mass development.

Helps increase muscle mass
Stabilizes blood sugar
Helps in weight loss/fat loss
Enhances immune function
Encourages bone growth
Absorbed and utilized better than other proteins
Helps increase mental and physical energy
May help prevent prostate cancer
May help prevent chronic periodontal disease

http://www.building-muscle101.com/the-benefit-of-whey-protein.html

--------------
How do you feel? That is the question
But I forget.. you dont expect an easy answer
When something like a soul becomes
Initialized and folded up like paper dolls and little notes
You cant expect a bit of hope
So while youre outside looking in
Describing what you see
Remember what youre staring at is me.
----------
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Bill

immovablestone
immovablestone
United States
2007/11/14, 08:08 AM
As Bill has put, protein and a vitamin will do you the most good as far as supplements go. Though proper diet will make the biggest difference.

When I was around your age, flogg, I was heavy into ephedra, which I regret to this day due to the untold damage I may have done to myself with the massive doses I was taking.

Stick to doing it with diet/exercise and supplement your protein, you'll live longer :dumbbell:

--------------
DEFENSE! - Bas Rutten
flogg
flogg
Ireland
2007/11/14, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. With regards to the whey protein, is it okay to use it before only, or do I need it after as well. If so, does it need to be taken straight away. I don't always go home straight away after gym.
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/11/14, 04:56 PM
there are numerous companies that make rtd ( ready to drink ) protein drinks ( similar to a gatorade or other energy drinks ) and/or protein bars you can nibble on after the workout. nothing says you have to have shakes all the time flogg, yes the powdered drinks break down faster and work a little quicker but life is what it is, you deal with what time restraints you have and go from there.... everyone has there favorites, and there are 100's of companies out there, i like BSN for my whey and Twin labs for my vitamins, but google around, or find a nutrition store in your area and go ask some question...

Good luck

--------------
How do you feel? That is the question
But I forget.. you dont expect an easy answer
When something like a soul becomes
Initialized and folded up like paper dolls and little notes
You cant expect a bit of hope
So while youre outside looking in
Describing what you see
Remember what youre staring at is me.
----------
Get busy living or get busy dying.