Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Protein supplements

ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/04/09, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all of you who responded to my previous post on Need Help.

I have made a conscious effort to increase my protein intake and find it hard. I work and just can't seem to get out of the breakfast, lunch, and dinner routine.

I have decided that instead of eating an apple at 4pm I will have a protein shake. Perhaps will add one at 11am also. although I usually work out at noon should I hold off on that one? Can anybody tell me if whey or soya protein is the best. I am not lactose intolerant. Any brand names that anyone one would recommend. I am in Toronto, Canada. Thanks
fsimmons
fsimmons
United States
2003/04/09, 12:02 PM
the 11am protein shake should be fine. you won't be too full to workout and the protein will help fuel your muscles. i usually eat 1/2 a protein bar before and half after my workouts
kkor
kkor
United States
2003/04/09, 12:24 PM
I am also making a conscious effort to up my protein and find it difficult as well. I have been doing shakes and bars midmorning and mid-afternoon without any ill effects on noon workouts. In fact, I think it's a bit of psychological boost since I eat a protein bar around 11:00 and work out at noon. I just kind of visualize the protein in that bar I just ate helping build strong, firm muscles while I'm there. That may sound dumb, but I think it really has helped me push through my workouts.

Kelly
kirby00
kirby00
United States
2003/04/09, 12:34 PM
kkor - your visualization doesn't sound dumb at all! i think similarly when i do a post-workout shake. which, incidentally, is what i was going to suggest. make sure you have some protein (real food or supplement) after your workout as well.

another protein-filled snack i've been having this week - hardboiled eggs. they're easy to take to work and store in the fridge and give me a little energy boost late in the afternoon when i'm tired.

i like champion nutrition whey protein in vanilla. seems to mix easily and tastes pretty good. don't remember the specs on it tho. you can find it on www.netrition.com/

-Krb
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/04/09, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info. KRB I checked out the "netrition site" and if nothing else I got an education on the various types of protein supplements. Seems there are several different kinds and of course the fastest absorbing and supposedly the best costs the most. I can't order from this site as I am in Canada. I will check out the pro shop in the gym to morrow and see what they have. I think the 11am and the 4pm will suit as I usually eat a salad and some protein at my desk when I get back to work. I could even fir one in at bed time but am afraid that the calories will be too high. I am trying to keep around 12-1300.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/04/09, 06:34 PM
ufo_10 whey protein is best and try and gaet 100% pure isolate. You can't get better quality than that except for eggwhites.
And for a good cdn site, try eglobalgym.com
They are very reasonable.
Hope thatt helps.

--------------
We must become the change we want to see.

Ivan Montreal Canada
kirby00
kirby00
United States
2003/04/09, 08:11 PM
wow. 12-1300 cal/day seems really low to me, but i'm not such a good judge of that (one of these days i'll actually figure out how much i consume!). i don't really eat too much after dinner either b/c of the cal thing, though i know a lot of people on this site like to have a shake before bed for that extra protein.

sorry about the cdn thing on the website. good thing carivan came to the rescue. i've never actually done the ordering. my bf and i share it...i even got some for my birthday. ha ha ha.

-Krb
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/04/10, 09:27 AM
Krb
There is a great sight that helps you keep track of calories consumed if you are so inclined. It tracks activites and estimates how many cals burned. It makes you extremely concious of everything that goes in the mouth. It is a little bit of work as you have to enter the foods consumed. You can't always find stuff but it has a feature where you can add custom foods.

The feature that I think is the best can be found under reports. You can check if what you have consumed that day, week or month has met your nutritional requirements. Amazingly as much as I consider my diet clean and varied often I am deficient in vitamins and calcium.

The site is www.Fitday.com

ufo_10
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/04/10, 09:27 AM
Krb
There is a great sight that helps you keep track of calories consumed if you are so inclined. It tracks activites and estimates how many cals burned. It makes you extremely concious of everything that goes in the mouth. It is a little bit of work as you have to enter the foods consumed. You can't always find stuff but it has a feature where you can add custom foods.

The feature that I think is the best can be found under reports. You can check if what you have consumed that day, week or month has met your nutritional requirements. Amazingly as much as I consider my diet clean and varied often I am deficient in vitamins and calcium.

The site is www.Fitday.com

ufo_10
PhysiqueMystiqu
PhysiqueMystiqu
United Kingdom
2003/04/13, 02:10 PM
It is easier than most people think to add quality protein to your diet. While protein shakes (whey is the best quality) are great, try to use these just as supplements and get the most protein from whole, natural foods that provide the best sources of vitamins and minerals.

Some snack ideas that are easy to pack and take are:

- apple with 1tbsp peanut butter
- piece of fruit with handful of nuts
- piece of friut with square of low-fat cheese
- as mentioned above, hard boiled eggs
- small salad with pine nuts, cottage cheese and chicken/tuna

Alternatively, make your own protein bars. There are many recipes out there! They are cheaper than buying them and at least you know what is in them!

--------------
For tasty nutritious bodybuilding recipes check out Muscle Menus CLICK HERE http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/ebook.asp
jlpo
jlpo
United States
2003/04/22, 11:32 AM
I would LOVE to make my own protein bars....can anyone point me in the right direction?