Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

protein shake making me sick

mikeynwendi
mikeynwendi
United States
2005/08/06, 01:35 PM
ok i don't remember the protein shake that i had, I.E. brand. but it was whey protein, about 30g of protein per serving. now i USED to have the protein shake right after i worked out when i got home. yes i would eat too. the shake was 1% milk, ice, and 1 scoop of protein powder. now every time i drank it i would notice that my throat kinda swelled up and it was more difficult to swallow water or anything (even my own saliva). my throat felt very congested, but nothing would come up if i tried to clear it. the last time i had it i was eating dinner (baked chicken w/ green beans and white rice). after every bit i had to wash it down with water becuase it felt as if i would not go down my esaphagus(sp) (u know the part between ur throat and stomach). so i drank A LOT of water. my throat felt horrible and i hated it so much that i threw the 3/4 full bottle of protein powder out. i've never heard of anyone being allergic to protein (in my family or outside of it). is this completly abnormal? are there other substitutions i can make for high protein?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/08/06, 08:18 PM
Without knowing the brand, specific ingredients, i don't think anyone can really tell.
Are you saying you had a similar reaction to the chicken, beans and rice?

If you have a food allergy, the best thing to do is do an elimination diet. lamb is supposed to be the least allergenic protein, that with vegetables for a few weeks, then add in a food you suspect and see how you react to it.

--------------

Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher than you think.

Benjamin Disraeli

mikeynwendi
mikeynwendi
United States
2005/08/08, 12:51 PM
actually i KNOW i have no reactions to the food i listed. i KNOW it was from the protein shake, the thing i wanted to know was if anyone else had a simlar experience to protein as me.
mpalone4
mpalone4
United States
2005/08/21, 04:41 PM
It isn't from the high protein Its a food allergy. You need to get the same thing again and bring the container to your doctor. If you had enough of whatever substance you're allergic to, your throat can swell completely shut. The same thing happens to people allergic to peanut butter, bee stings, and venomous snake bite victims. Saying you're allergic to protein is akin to saying your allergic to water.
GoMcnabb
GoMcnabb
United States
2005/08/21, 06:00 PM
Isnt everyone allergic to venomous snake bites?
mpalone4
mpalone4
United States
2005/08/22, 08:38 PM
Yes. It was a poorly formed list.