Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Prostate Cancer

aerlingus
aerlingus
United States
2002/04/13, 01:02 AM
Hello, I realize that this may not be the best place to post this message but I didn't know where else this disscussion might fit in. My father who is a 60 years old, has recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I realize this is a big thing in our families life and I want to help him out in all ways possible. He has been overweight from before i can remember he is 6'4" and probably around 260lbs. I want him to have a more active lifestyle, like my mothers but worry about his health (heart, radiation treatment, etc). He does enjoy walks but sometimes feel drained by the end of the day, and I don't want to push him. How can I encourge a healthier lifestyle without hurting him with his radiation treatment, or possible heart problems? What kind of diet changes can i suggest to my mother to encourge weight lose and a better lifestyle. He has experessed interest in losing weight so i am not trying to throw a curve at him. Please Help,
Very Respectfully,
Tim
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/13, 02:11 AM
What about going out biking and swimming as well?

Yes ask your mother politely to start cooking more healthy and explain your father about fitness, weight training, the need of proteins as well as the need of eating LESS saturated fat. Show him some photos of nice trimmed people (maybe not BB's yet!) and tell him that it's never too late to start training.
Maybe all this will wake up his couriosity.

The best of luck to you.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/13, 10:46 AM
Tim, there are many here who are over 40 just starting out with a lifestyle change! Why not turn him on to this site for additional motivation?

Since he's already expressed interest in losing weight, you can do some low impact exercises with him (Nina suggested a couple). And I agree with her on her comment about asking your mom to help in the process by "thinking" about healthier foods.

We're all here to help...whether it's you or your dad!

--------------
**_Robert_**