Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Problem keeping Heart rate at 60-75%

1NS4NITY
1NS4NITY
Canada
2009/08/21, 05:44 PM
Hi there guys,

This is my first forum here at the site, and I would like to first thank you all for the valuble information/help you guys offer at this site.

Anyways, I amon my bulking phase, ive been getting good gains, but also packing up a belly now that i up'd my Protein and Carbs to

200+ g of protein and
nearly 500 g of Carbs, i eat every 3 hrs and only eat carbs such as oatmeal and whole wheat bread, basically i eat clean.

A lot of forums says its best to include some sort of cardio into your bulk phase, which iam planning to do. As said, the best heart rate to perform cardio is at a constant 60-75 % for 30 mins, thats where your fat will be burned and not your muscle.

i totally get the concept and try performing cardio on my off days, but i notice even if i go at a super slow pace, it goes above 75, around the 80's after a 150M jog. So its pretty clear I am unhealthy in the cardio department.

So I stop everytime it goes above 75% and walk till it drops back to within the range and run again.

Should i continue this really boring method until my heart, gets used to it. or do I juz run it off. Sure I get a high heart rate percent, but im not tired at all. so yea..

any advice?

thanks a lot, answers are greatly appreciated.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/08/21, 09:56 PM
Forget about that low hr to burn fat! It's a good urban legend. Also what are you using to measure your HR? Unless it is a HR monitor strappped to your chest it is only a estimate. The HR monitors are calibrated to yourself and not computer programmed. Do your cardio based on your max of 65-85% You will see the more your heart gets used to the exercise the HR will drop and it will eventually get harder to reach. Best method is with intervals.
I wouldn't spend more than 35 min doing cardio using the last 5 as a cool down.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
1NS4NITY
1NS4NITY
Canada
2009/08/24, 10:18 PM
sorry for the late reply, was away celebrating my mom's 50'th bday.

im using a MIO heart rate monitor watch. That brand seems to be quite popular and known.

Well I am still trying to gain some mass, but lose the fat. Will 5 times a week be too much?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/08/24, 10:37 PM
Happy birthday to Mom. Five times a week is good, but make sure you have some rest days.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/08/25, 03:58 AM
1NS4NITY:
Didn't see your irst message until just now but would like to agree with carivan - ignore what people say is your 60-70% rate, your heart may be totally different to average.
I'm a runner and even after having recently completed marathons my heart rate is always fairly high, I simply have a smaller heart so it has to pump more often. It has however dropped greatly from the time before I started training as I have got fitter.

As you've hinted in your message, you should do the cardio until it's getting too hard to continue (or for your 30 minutes) and not be looking religiously at your heart rate monitor.
If you keep up the cardio exercise it will do exactly what it says in its name, improve your cardio fitness and therefore help reduce your heart rate.

Hope this helps.

Al
1NS4NITY
1NS4NITY
Canada
2009/08/25, 05:30 PM
lol okay, very clear advice.

Thanks a lot

Carivan and Alex for your help.
1NS4NITY
1NS4NITY
Canada
2009/08/25, 06:18 PM
I juz came up with a new routine do u think this will do?

Morning cardio, for 15 mins and 5 min kool down.

Have a Shake + 1/3 Cup oatmeal+banana and half PB sandwich,

2hrs later, Weight lift for about 45mins, than do cardio again for 15 mins and 5 min kool down. 4 times a week

or

Have my regular meal than weight lift and then do cardio for 20-30 mins.4 times a week
1NS4NITY
1NS4NITY
Canada
2009/08/25, 06:19 PM
which would be better for keeping lean mass and burning fat?

thankz again.