Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 100, Messages: 16610

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Pre Workout Fuel

Urbanlamb
Urbanlamb
Canada
2012/03/14, 10:36 AM
I got a problem.  If I eat within two hours before a workout, my tummy doesn't sit right, and I actually regurgitate some of my food, especially when doing core workouts like crunches.  *ewwww*

But what can I do to get the much needed energy pre workout?  I've crashed before, and have wanted to go further, but simply didn't have the energy.

Thanks for any help.

Lambie
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2012/03/15, 10:56 AM
Urbanlamb
I got a problem. If I eat within two hours before a workout, my tummy doesn't sit right, and I actually regurgitate some of my food, especially when doing core workouts like crunches. *ewwww*

But what can I do to get the much needed energy pre workout? I've crashed before, and have wanted to go further, but simply didn't have the energy.

Thanks for any help.

Lambie

---

Yeah, vomiting at the gym is never any fun....lol
But, then again, crashing halfway through your workout isn't good, either.

What are you eating before your workout?
Urbanlamb
Urbanlamb
Canada
2012/03/15, 12:46 PM
I've tried a few things....

Broccoli and hummus.  Bad idea b/c of the fibre and roughage from the veggie.
PB and Ryvita crackers.  Again, the yucky roughage.
Berries and yogourt.  No good, the berries taste like rotten wine when they come back for the second round.

I typically have my snack around 4 or 430 before a 600 workout.

I'm really stumped and am wondering if fruit juice might do the trick?  What do you think?
Thanks for the help.
Lambie
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2012/03/15, 02:14 PM
Yep, most people cannot handle anything high in fiber within 4 hours of intense exercise. Fruit juice may not work for you either because the fructose can draw a ton of water into your gut, and you can figure out the result of that....lol

If you're going the whole food route, stick with a clean protein, such as chicken breast, etc., and lower fiber carbs (i.e. sweet potatoes). You may want to hit a supplement instead, especially since your stomach is already touchy, such as a protein powder. There are even some pretty awesome tasting fruit flavored ones out there that, for me, go down easier pre-workout. Same with carbs.

If those don't work, you may have to go with straight essential amino acids and carbs. Easiest on the guts, and actually a bit better for results, but they can get pricey.

Hope that helps....
Urbanlamb
Urbanlamb
Canada
2012/03/15, 03:18 PM
I like the idea of protein and low fiber carbs.  Four hours before a workout, eh?  Sure thing, I'll try it and thanks!!
I do have a touchy stomach, and the older I get, the more trouble it gives me. 
Days of hot chicken wings are long gone for me I'm afraid. *pout*

I know I need carbs for the energy, hence the fact that I never really considered a whey shake.  I have one after my worout though, and it's great!  Sometimes I mix it with yogourt and berries, since I really don't have supper on gym nights because I leave the gym at 730, and am normally in bed before 10.

thanks for your advice, really appreciate it.

Lambie
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2012/03/16, 09:51 AM (Edited: rev8ball - 2012/03/16, 09:52 AM)
Yep. We advise our athletes to stay away from any high fiber meals at least 4-6 hours prior to competition or workout.

Mixing carbs and protein can actually help the body use both more effectively. And pre workout has been shown to be at least as effective (if not more) than post workout when it comes to helping repair muscle damage as a result of intense exercise.

Not a problem, and best of luck!
CagedInSanity
CagedInSanity
Canada
2012/04/20, 02:43 PM
A couple hours before a workout I usually eat a cucomber and a glass of milk with 2 tablespoons of Vanilla Whey Protein powder (I find the vanilla flavour to be absolutely delicious mixed with milk). I know dairy might not be the best, but it's quite a while before the workout and I've never had a problem with it.
jasminetrias
jasminetrias
United States
2013/12/13, 11:12 PM
Well, just doing what my friends taught me... I am currently under with http://www.berriedinchocolate.com/pages/speaking-services program
b3kman
b3kman
United States
2016/07/22, 07:46 PM (Edited: Adrian - 2016/07/26, 03:25 AM)
Trail mix is suppose to be a great snack for working out or hiking. I made a thread about this in another section. I think eating too much before working out could be a bad idea.
Usually if I eat too much I'll want to get some sleep afterwards. But having a snack that provides alot of energy ahead of time will help alot. Trail mix has alot of healthy calories
that can give you energy to work out. Most people recommend this for hiking.