Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 377, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Posture Exercises

J_Cat
J_Cat
United States
2012/03/29, 05:02 PM
Are there any exercises I could to do improve my posture?
I'm guessing that it would involve strengthening my back muscles somehow. I have had bad posture my whole life and I have to make an effort to sit up straight when I can, but I find that I still slouch even when I'm standing :(
kolhy
kolhy
Canada
2012/04/04, 10:59 PM
Hi J_Cat,

Good question!  I've had some experience with poor posture so I'll give you my answer.

First, good posture relies on more than just the back muscles. Your core, hips, back, legs, neck, shoulders ALL play an important role.  

There are many different causes of poor posture and so, there are different ways to correct it. A good quality exercise professional could help identify your specific issues. Generally speaking, committing to any well rounded exercise program (such as the one you'll get from freetrainers) will help you achieve your goal by:

1. Practicing good posture during training (pay close attention to the instructions and your posture during the exercise)
2. Strengthening weak muscles
3. Stretching tight muscles
4. Instilling confidence

It might also be worth looking at your day to day living and see if you can make any adjustments.  What is your desk/chair height?  Can you place a few mirrors around your living space? A trick I use is to sit on the edge of my seat.  I also sometimes sit on an exercise ball when I'm at my desk or table for a long period of time.

Poor posture can be due to many things but unfortunately, it gives off such a bad impression to other people and (I believe) to yourself!  What I think is sooo NEAT about posture is how quickly you can change your mood/attentiveness by simply changing your posture! Moreover, pay attention to how people treat you differently!   

Like any other exercise program, you'll have to invest your commitment in it to see results.
CagedInSanity
CagedInSanity
Canada
2012/04/20, 02:52 AM
I'm not an expert, but based on my opinion, ioris hit the nail on the head. The best advice I can offer is to be concious of your posture whenever you can; if you feel that you are slouching, try your best to sit up straight (it will eventually just become natural.