Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Postpartum weight loss

randosowner
randosowner
United States
2003/06/22, 08:14 PM
I gave birth three months ago after a difficult pregnancy that included a huge weight gain. I have been working out and dieting and I am pretty pleased with my weight loss. I am only ten pounds away from my prepregnancy weight, but I am totally unhappy with the shape of my stomach. I have a pot belly that is pretty extreme and people think I am pregnant again. It was my first pregnancy, so I dont know what to expect now. Some people tell me that three months is not long enough for my body to readjust. Any tips for shrinking my pot belly or am I just expecting too much too soon?
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/23, 11:09 AM
I think you're expecting too much too soon. It can take six months or even a year for your stomach muscles to get close to their original shape, and even then they may continue to tighten up gradually. It depends on what kind of shape you were in during and before your pregnancy, too. You can work your abdominals in the usual way (start slowly and gently) six weeks or so after the birth and that should expediate the process so three months postpartum you should be good to go. If you have diastasis (seperation of the abdominals, like a seam down the middle of your abdomen) you can use your hands to add support; that may help. If you're ten pounds away from your prepregnancy weight after only three months, kudos!! That's great in itself. Your abs will come around in time.
Mom03
Mom03
United States
2003/07/05, 01:41 AM
Currently, I'm 7 months pregnant and worried about gaining too much weight. I still go to the gym 3-4 days a week and I lift weights as well as do spinning classes, yoga, walking on the treadmill and the stairmaster. Do I need to slow down, or keep up my routine? Even though this may sound like alot, I've had to cut back because of the pregnancy. Does anyone have any tips on how I can modify my workout, but still get the same intensity?
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/07/05, 10:30 AM
Assuming you don't have any complications w/ your pregnancy you should be able to let your own comfort be your guide; walking on the treadmill and stairclimbing should both be fine, weights are fine but make sure you're aware of your shifted center of balance - at this point in your pregnancy you might go with more machines because there really is a risk of falling with free weights once your center of balance shifts, especially if you're trying to lift heavy. I would make my goal maintaining my current fitness level rather than pushing myself to make gains. Also make sure your diet is appropriate for all this activity; you shouldn't be trying to restrict your weight gain when pregnant. I would consider a healthy weight gain around 30-35 pounds; I used to apprentice at home births as a direct entry midwife and we like to see a little more weight gain than the hospitals do. If you're an active woman, maintaining your muscle through pregnancy, and keeping up your active lifestyle post baby you shouldn't have any trouble losing your pregnancy weight.