Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Post WorkOut

dzimy
dzimy
Canada
2002/08/12, 01:08 PM
Hi!

I would like to know what should I eat as a post workout meal?

Thanx!
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2002/08/12, 02:23 PM
Nothing is better than a meal replacement shake.. be sure to get protein as well as carbs to rejuvinate your muscles.

--------------
.o0 Arnold 0o...o0 theaustrianoak@hotmail.com 0o.
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/08/12, 02:37 PM
I prefer a good meal personally. If you have the time and the resources (microwave, oven, etc) prepare some meals at home and have them ready or take them to work (I lift on my lunch hour). I like chicken breast over pasta with tomato sauce. Red meat with brown rice and a sweet potatoe or veggies. There are many possibilites.

As Arnold suggested, there is always the MRP too.

--------------
Ischjli
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." -- T. S. Elliot
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/08/13, 05:49 AM
I am with Arnold. I take a protein shake right after I work out then eat a good meal about 1 hour later.

--------------
Lisa
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/08/13, 10:51 AM
as i have stated in many numerous previous posts, the best post workout meal should contain a 2:1 carb to protein ratio. this can be whole food, but a shake is more quickly digested, and would probably be the better choice. about 2 hours after the shake, you should consume a regular whole food meal anyhow.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/08/13, 12:02 PM
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought he was asking what he should take for a post workout MEAL, not a post workout shake, as his question stated. If talking about the period immediately following the workout, then I would definately take a shake. If however asking about the meal, I would recommend as Rev stated, 2:1 carb to protein ratio, real whole food if possible.

--------------
Ischjli
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." -- T. S. Elliot
dzimy
dzimy
Canada
2002/08/13, 02:35 PM
The thing is that I want to know what should I take immediatly after my workout..! What do you think about of protein bar ? Should I avoid those with lots of carbs ?

Thanx a lot guys!

--------------
I need to Grow! So, be Psycho!
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/08/13, 03:13 PM
A protein bar with some carbs WOULD be good, but the WHEY shake with be more readily absorbed (digested and used faster- when you body is screaming for it) which is why you will find most people suggesting this as the post workout choice. You will want some high GI carbs at this time too to keep your body from catabolism and help the protein get where it needs to go. I like a whey powder in skim milk and a banana.

You will need carbs to gain mass too. Don't be too afraid of them. If you want to gain lean mass slowly, then cutting back on carbs and keeping the protein intake high will do it. If you want to gain mass quicker, you will have to take in more carbs, fat, while of course keeping protein high.

--------------
Ischjli