Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Post Pregnancy Bodybuilder program?

Keks2217
Keks2217
United States
2005/05/19, 06:58 PM
For all you (female) bodybuilding experts out there:

I had my first baby 7 weeks ago, and I've been back in the gym 2 weeks post pregnancy more determined than ever to get into my dream bodybuilding figure. I'm wondering if my personally designed nutrtional & exercise program will get me there. I'm currently 156 lbs, 5'7, 26.9% bodyfat according to the handheld bodyfat machine (which I don't think is accurate). My goal is 140 lbs, 15% bodyfat, building more upper body muscle. I'm getting in on average 1500 cals, 30g fat, 150-200g carbs, 150g Protein. Is this too little? I'm lifting 3-4 setsx8-12 reps 2-3 exercises/muscle, then I'm doing 30 min. cardio immediately after. I'm trying to get at least 5 - 30 min .cardio sessions/wk.

Also, is it possible to build my shoulder muscles while trying to burn fat with the # of cals I'm taking in?

What advice do you have for me if I wanted to enter a competition this year?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/05/20, 09:17 AM
Were you lifting before?

Competition - bodybuilding or figure?

Your calories seem a little low. Especially if you are breast feeding - you need a little extra for that.

Your body takes some time to recover from pregnacy/birth, I am not sure how it will respond to training, since you may be a little depleted.

--------------
Vitality shows not only in the ability to persist but the ability to start over. - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Keks2217
Keks2217
United States
2005/05/20, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I had been lifting before for 2 years. I had been physically active throughout my entire pregnancy as well. Competition: I'm aiming for natural bodybuilding.
I'll try to get in more calories.
Also, is it possible for me to burn fat and build muscle at the same time? I'm trying to build my shoulders. I'd probably have to increase my calories huh. If my calories seem a little low, what would you consider is a good number for me to reach my goal?
mattawesome
mattawesome
United States
2005/05/22, 11:55 AM
It is possible to burn fat and build muscle at the same time. I agree with asimmer on the calories. Eat the right foods to gain muscle mass, and stay away from the food that have those bad fats in them. Don't do low carb if you want to gain the muscle. As far as how many calories you need, go to the calculators on this site. They will tell you what you need, as well as cardio, water intake and so on. Eat plenty of protien to help you gain your muscle. Thats my way of saying it, I will let the pros tell you the rest. Hope I could help.

--------------
If you can't hang with the big dogs, go your little ass home.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/05/23, 11:32 AM
I think that you can prepare for a contest if you think you have enough mass.

Get on a shoulder specialization program, if you feel you need to bring them up.

I would say give yourself 20 weeks to diet down before your comp - so pick a comp that is 5 months away and go for it!

--------------
Vitality shows not only in the ability to persist but the ability to start over. - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mattawesome
mattawesome
United States
2005/05/23, 12:52 PM
I would still give yourself a little more time to recover before lifting to much weight, and hard training. Give your body time to get back into rythm and let you harmones settle out.

--------------
If you can't hang with the big dogs, go your little ass home.