Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Plateau or unrealistic expectations?

david_sharp2
david_sharp2
United States
2008/02/12, 05:27 PM
I hope someone can help me. I seem to have stalled out in my weight loss progress. I started at 204 and dropped the first 10 fairly easy (about 5 weeks). The next 5 not so easy (about 4 more weeks). The last five really hard (about 8 more weeks). For the last 3 weeks I have stayed between 180 and 182. I eat about 2,000-2,200 calories in a typical day:
Breakfast
3 eggs
Oatmeal and Raisins with no fat milk and protein powder
Snack
1String cheese and 3 slices turkey/ham deli meat without preservatives
1/2 C cottage cheese with 1 slice pineapple
Lunch
6-8 oz Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast
Green Beans
Snack
Repeat earlier snack + 1/4 cup walnuts
Dinner
Something similar to Pork Stir Fry or Chicken Fajitas
I am doing a program from this site (4 sets/pyramid):
Mondays--Chest and Back
Wednesdays--Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders
Fridays--lower body
Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays--Eliptical and abs 25-30 minutes

Do I just need to be patient or should I be doing something differently. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
David
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/02/13, 08:50 AM
You have been eating 2000-2200 calories per day since 204? If so I recommend cutting down a few more calories to continue progressing.

Do you do any cardio? If so maybe you need to switch up what you are doing there as well. Also try to increase your general activity level, walk more, park further away, take the steps, etc.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/02/13, 03:31 PM
That seems like a lot of food. Are you SURE that all of that food only equals 2000-2200 calories? If you don't track and journal your food, I'd recommend doing so on fitday.com or a similar website. Just to be sure that you are eating what you think you are eating.
Looks like you are doing some cardio on the eliptical 3 times a week, but you note 25-30 minutes eliptical and abs. I'm not sure how many minutes this actually equates to in terms of the eliptical. I would agree with ecle, it looks like you could use a little more cardio.
Congrats on the current weight loss, the motivation and sticking with it. That's great!
david_sharp2
david_sharp2
United States
2008/02/13, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure about the calories. I read the labels and track all my calories in a spreadsheet. I started with a 30/40/30 Protein/Carb/Fat program. I read that if you plateau increase your calories to maintenance and then come back down. That helped for a while. My doctor suggested that I try 50/20/30 which I have beeen doing and that helped for a while. I do 25 minutes (+5 minutes cool down) eliptical varying workouts between a constant pace, cross training, and HIT. I will try reducing my calories 10% on the 50/20/30 and see what that does. I will also try some other cardio as well. My body has definitely changed (My wife even commented on the new muscles) I am mainly just wanting to lose the inner tube around the middle-which seems to be awefully stubborn.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/02/14, 06:03 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track and under the guidance of your Dr. which is great. That stubborn belly fat is the WORST! Keep it up and you will reach your goals. As you have found, mixing up your routine and diet every few weeks can sometimes start to jump start things again. It seems like you are having success, so I'd just stick to it and keep mixing up the routines. Good luck and congrats on your success so far!