Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Peanuts even healthier?

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/07/26, 11:08 AM
Got this off of Real age...thought it may be interessting to some peanut lovers out thre.....

Make a Healthy Nut Even Healthier

Straight out of the can, peanuts are one amazing health food. But you may get more antioxidants if you buy them in the shell and do this: boil 'em.

In a recent study, peanuts boiled in their shells had a significantly higher concentration of disease-fighting phytochemicals -- more than their raw, roasted, or oiled counterparts.

Nutrition in a Nutshell
The hulls of peanuts are loaded with polyphenols, and the skins are packed with flavonoids. Researchers suspect that boiling peanuts in their shells releases these heart-healthy antioxidant compounds into the water, and the amped-up water is in turn absorbed by the nuts. The result? One powerfully healthy peanut. (Use this tool to find out what other foods are packed with flavonoids.)

How to Do It
This isn?t a newfangled food idea. In the South, boiled peanuts are part of the culinary heritage, though raw or not-quite-mature peanuts are traditionally used. Cover the peanuts with salted water in a large stockpot. Simmer until the peanuts inside the shell are soft -- anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. (Now, find out how regularly eating peanuts may actually help you lose weight.)

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

angiem6
angiem6
Canada
2008/07/26, 11:26 AM
The Real Age site is a great place for info!

Diablos_Azul
Diablos_Azul
United States
2008/09/28, 08:03 AM
This brings back a good memory. My mother's side of the family is from south Georgia. I remember going down there for a family reunion when I was like 10 or 12 years old, my mom stopped on the side of some narrow stone road and bought a big cup of boiled peanuts from some people. They had a big steel barrel set up on blocks with a fire going under it, they were stirring whem with a boat oar. I didn't want to try them. First off, , , , they're boiled peanuts, it doesn't even sound good. Second, I know my description of the set up they had sounded very glamarous, but if you had seen the people and the set up combined. . . Meh, I just didn't want anything to do with it, at first. When I sacked up and tried them it was a whole different story, believe it or not they're actually very good. In fact I'm going to the store today and buying me some peanuts.