Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

overeating

ronnigail
ronnigail
United States
2003/01/01, 11:44 PM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to curb overeating? I'm 23 and I don't eat a lot junk food or sweets, but when I sit down to eat a meal, I have a hard time stopping after the 1st serving. Any suggestions?
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2003/01/02, 07:57 AM
Here's a few to get you started - willpower, only put on your plate what you know you need to eat, drink plenty of water (before and during the meal), eat slowly, when you're finished sit for a minute before automatically getting seconds, and last but not least -- willpower.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/02, 12:48 PM
You can also try a protien shake before meals, or instead of that chocolate bar or chips. :) (Good Protien shake, not Slimfast)!

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
erirvine
erirvine
United Kingdom
2003/01/02, 04:11 PM
I had the same problem. I use to eat a main meal and maybe a few light snacks when I was younger, nothing else. So that when I ate boy did I eat, 24 egg omelettes mmm. So that when I started eating several times I kept eating huge dinner only several of them a day!
Anyway to curb this I ate lots of fruit & vegetables after each meal. Providing my jaw with something to chomp on and solids in my stomach, but few calories. I used stuff like watermelon, mainly water but would make me fell full no the less. Over a few weeks I naturally cut back from a whole watermelon after a meal to half then a quarter. This was not an intentional cut back I think my body just realised that no mater how much I ate after the meal I still got the same calorie intake.
Also after a meal I have a coffee with something sweet (like a cookie) as a symbolic end of meal (no more, full stop). I also find only cooking what I intend to eat now and not having easy snack foods lying around (not always an option I know). And going for a walk (I live 5min from my research lab so I trot down and check my email) so that you can’t eat even if you want to. I remember hearing that it takes ½ an hour for your stomach to tell your brain its full. I am not sure how true this is, but certainly after getting to the lab I totally forget about eating more. Try to find another activity like walking the dog after meals.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/01/04, 01:48 PM
Put what you need to eat on your plate, then pack up the rest and toss it in the fridge. Chances are you won't want to go through the hassle of digging it back out.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/05, 11:18 AM
If you know your daily caloric intake, simply measure out your food and put that amount on your plate. Such as 6 oz. chicken breast, 6 oz. sweet potato, and 2 cups vegetables. Voila', you eat only what you are supposed to eat.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!