Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

on growing stronger

zxcvb
zxcvb
Malta
2003/01/09, 04:45 PM
Despite my devotion to my training regime, I cannot seem to get any stronger. The problem is not in my training but nutrition/genetics. I am building myself a good physique and yet my weight will not increase although I eat alot on purpose. I always weigh around 65-68 kilos and it varies all day. Does a lack of increase in bodyweight mean a lack of increase in size. This would mean the gains are just due to toning. If it is so, I have wasted two years+ of training. I want to get stronger as my 1st priority but any size gains would be very welcome.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/01/09, 05:52 PM
i need just a little more info about you before i can offer any advice: what type of training reginmen are you on now (i.e., sets/reps, etc.)? and, what is your diet like?
let me know, and we can go from there...

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
erirvine
erirvine
United Kingdom
2003/01/15, 03:59 AM
The variation in your weight is due to your low mass with respect to what you take in and out. Weighing your self before or after a meal, drink or the toilet will make a noticeable difference; remember a litre of water weighs a kilo so you will drop a pound after a piss.

My body weight stayed the almost the same for 5 years in this period my bench almost doubled and my waist fluctuated between 26inches (when I was 18 – never get that again) to 34inches (spent a year with no training living on beer and take out - yuck). Two of my old training buddies use to lift the same (they were always in competition) only one weight 20kg less my point is mass can have little to do with strength or size.

Are you are eating enough protein and eating regularly? I eat 5 or 6 times a day with a hefty chunk of protein each meal. If so you might either be just eating too little or training too much. I got to a point a few years back before my finals when I was training rather than working. I trained 5-6 hours a day and took in 8-9,000calories (more than 3x normal intake), and gained little strength and actually lost fat because I was training so hard. Muscle growth is from micro tears forming in the muscles when you train, so your body repairs by laying down more muscle. As such you need the right intake and the time for this repair to be made.

As you say you are in your profile I am addicted to training and fall into the trap of eating to little and training too much. My new years resolution is the opposite to most of my friends, to eat more and spend less time in the gym – I actually had a rest day this Sunday no training! I am mesomorph / endomorph cross and from your profile I guess you are an ectomorph? If so you have to be less careful about over eating.

Oh and running burns of bucket loads of calories, I don’t want to put you of doing it (you will regret it if you stop and lose the ability), but remember to replace those calories.