Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Omega 3 Fats

sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/09/12, 09:22 AM
I know it's been talked about a lot and I've included this in my diet for over a year now. However Dr. Mercola has a good article on it here:

http://www.mercola.com/2006/sep/12/consuming_omega-3_fats_better_for_your_health_than_having_a_defibrillator_close_by.htm

Personally I contribute taking an Omega complex supplement for helping to decrease my bad cholesterol and increase my good in recent years. However according to this study it's got a lot more benefits.
jsvez
jsvez
Canada
2006/09/29, 10:14 AM
I have found hemp oil and hemp hearts to be a great source of omega 3,6, and 9. The hearts seem to give me a little extra energy and they claim to be a complete source of protein too.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/29, 11:58 AM
Mercola has some good stuff...but beware, he is a bit of 'kook'.

Here is an interesting findings from the mayo clinic that was just done....

"PRESCRIBING ù-3 FAs

There are 2 general purposes for recommending increased intake of ù-3 FAs: prevention of CHD and lowering of elevated triglyceride levels. The dosages needed to achieve these goals differ. As previously noted, approximately 750 to 1000 mg of ù-3 FAs should significantly reduce risk of sudden cardiac death. Patients should be encouraged to consume fish or take supplements, whichever source they find most appropriate (Table 2). For those who like fish, a dietary approach including about four 3-oz servings of oily fish weekly will be adequate; for those who do not like or cannot get fish, capsules of ù-3 FAs should be effective and are essentially without risk. Although promising, recommendations to increase intake of á-linolenic acid specifically for CHD risk reduction are premature.

In contrast to the low intakes that seem to be cardio-protective, substantially higher intakes of EPA and DHA (3-5 g/d) are required to lower triglyceride levels significantly. Clearly, these amounts cannot be obtained by dietary means but require supplementation. Most standard fish oil concentrates contain 300 mg of EPA and DHA per 1-g capsule. Thus, 10 to 12 capsules would be required per day to achieve these intakes. With a moderately concentrated product (50% of ù-3 FAs), 7 tablets per day will suffice. The formulation used in the GISSI-Prevention study was a highly refined fish oil consisting of 85% EPA and DHA. Use of these highly concentrated fish oils at a dosage of 4 g/d provides effective triglyceride lowering.62,80,81 Physician supervision is necessary for patients taking these amounts of ù-3 FAs.

Recent studies suggest that DHA may be more cardio-protective than EPA. The former seems to be more effective in lowering fasting and postprandial triglyceride levels82,83 and in improving blood pressure and slowing the resting pulse.84,85 Standard fish oil concentrates contain 12% of DHA by weight, but higher DHA concentration products are available."

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/10/03, 08:22 PM
I take 8 caps of fish oil and 4 TBSP of Cold Milled Ground Flax Seed per day and I eat alot of Fish lol!
jaybh1974
jaybh1974
United States
2006/10/25, 04:47 PM
I take an Omega 3 Fatty acid softgel every day, and I try to eat at least 2 servings of fish per week.

--------------
www.vitacost.com. Top Brand Vitamins at wholesale cost
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/26, 12:17 PM
That abstract that I posted came from a well done, well constructed study. Not bad 'guidelines' if I say so myself. :)

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!