Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Newly single mom.....

maj0079
maj0079
United States
2012/09/03, 09:15 AM
So, I was a stay-at-home mom and got pregnant back to back.  I gained 60+ lbs with my kids and I was already about 40 lbs overweight.  Things happened and needless to say I am now a single mom and work full-time.  I look at pictures of myself 5 yrs ago and want to cry!  I looked so darn good!  Now, Ugh i feel so crappy! 

Does anyone have any advice on how to find the life balance?  I'm still trying to get a handle on the single mom thing and working full-time.  Now I need to throw in working out.  Any advice on tips or tricks to help get it in?

Thank you!
flyingstarfish
flyingstarfish
Saudi Arabia
2012/09/04, 03:14 PM
My experience has been that loosing weight is more about what goes on in the kitchen than at the gym.  A full-time working single mom might not be able to cook healthy meals at home every day, but I do have a suggestion.  Raw fruits and vegetables and nuts can make very tasty snacks or even meals, and they are faster than fast food.  You can loose wieght without taking time to go to the gym if you focus more on what goes in, because with all that you do I imagine that calories are being burnt without setting aside extra time for that.  I am in the process of trying to go raw vegan, and I can tell you I've had some major improvements in my health.  I still eat eggs and tuna, but other than that I don't have any animal products or milk products.  The next step for me will be to reduce sugar and oil intake because we really don't need any of that at all.  My suggestion is to take small goals and add them up over time.  The first goal could be to eliminate sugary drinks; try to not drink any liquid except water and when you get used to that, make another small change.  This is the best way to make real changes, and the only way to get real results is to make lifestyle changes, not temporary diets.  Building muscle can speed your metabolism up, but the surest way to loose fat is to structure your diet and eating habits so that you naturally burn more than you eat.  That way whatever time you can find for working out is bonus while your daily routine ensures weight loss. If you eat only fresh fruits and vegetables then you should be able to eat to your heart's content without keeping any records because those types of foods don't add up to too many calories.  In fact, you may find it hard to get enough calories.  The secret to a frutarian lifestyle is to eat bananas and dates because you are able to get enough calories within a reasonable amount of them. If you haven't heard about this before, look it up.  Read Douglas Graham's 80/10/10 book.  These people aren't trying to sell anything; you can find the book online for free. They are only promoting a lifestyle because they live it and they are very happy with the outcome.  When I say "they" I mean the people who follow the 80/10/10 lifestyle and they promote it on youtube and other websites.  Go check them out.  They are all lean and active, and many of them have been living this way for 10 years, 20 years, some even longer.  I've not mastered it yet because it does take some major changes from the standard american diet, but I am making progress and I have no desire to turn back.
sharonbaby
sharonbaby
Nigeria
2012/12/15, 03:16 PM
wow, very helpful