Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Newbs and Whey

tylerjb1
tylerjb1
United States
2002/02/19, 10:24 AM
Okay, I'm a newb lifter and I've started ft's 8 week mass program. I'm 24, 6ft and 205 (err... some fat here and there...) and I understand the importance of diet/supplements alongside the workout. So, I've tried some of the Designer Whey shakes... and trying to keep it down was almost as intense as my original workout. I mixed one scoop (17g of protein) with 8 ounces of water and can barely stomach the thing. What I tried next was just piling the stuff between two slices of bread and gulping it down - MUCH EASIER! I drank 20oz of water along side this.

So, my question is this: am I getting the same benefits regardless of how it's taken? Am I too early in my program to even consider taking it in the first place? Also, two glasses of milk contain the same amount of protein as one scoop... can I just replace the $20 protein canister with a gallon of milk?

I know a few of these questions were posted earlier, but this is a little more focused on what I was looking for.

Thanks for everyone's help... this is a tremendous community.

PS - I'm about 25lbs overweight (Im fat and bones right now... no muscle!)... shoudl I really be consuming 3000+ calories???
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/02/19, 10:50 AM
Welcome to ft! Whey protein shakes work best immediately after workout. Whey can be readily absorbed by the body and so this is the best time to take it. During the day, vary your protein sources...fish, milk, eggs, lean meats, chicken, etc. These are absorbed a little more slowly, but they are beneficial to your body's need for protein.

Also, drink plenty of water. This will help you lose weight. As far as your caloric intake? Remember these rules: To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you consume. To gain muscle mass, it's the exact opposite.

Good luck!
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/02/19, 06:33 PM
Milk is a good source of protein, however you also have to remeber the other fat contents and stuff like that. If you don't like the taste of protein powders and costs isn't a great deal of headache for you, you could try celltech or nitrotech. I don't like the taste of most protein bars or shakes, but I do like the taste of the nitrotech.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/02/20, 06:57 AM
The calories suggested in the Nutrition section are basic guigeline. Since we are all different some individuals need to adjust this number up and dowm. Many individuals look at that number and say "WOW Thats too many calories for me" but on the same note if you kept track of every morseel you ate for a week you might be surprised!
A girl at the office always complained she was overweight so we did this, she was consuming about 4000 calories a day without even realizing it!!!
SO, do this for one week. Then adjust your calories down 250-500 a day if you want to lose weight. Keep us posted and we'll go from there.
Milk is ok for now. Go for the lowfat. Try a product that has "blended proteins" like Met-Rz Pure Protein Powder. Much easier to handle. And if you put protein on white bread you are sabotaging your diet!!!
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/02/20, 06:58 AM
opps its Met-RX
tylerjb1
tylerjb1
United States
2002/02/20, 07:48 AM
Thank you everyone for your help! We'll give it all a go!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/02/20, 02:32 PM
Change protein powder. Maybe you'll like it better then.
When taking your protiens with bread don't forget that bread is carbohydrates and to loose weight you have to cut down a little of your total daily carb intake.

Good luck!

--------------
- Nina :o)