Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

New to the Boards

ZelenyOko
ZelenyOko
United States
2003/06/23, 03:39 PM
Hi, I just found this site today. I am 32 (almost 33), 5'4 and weigh 156 on a medium-small frame. To give you a bit of background, I lost about 50 pounds a couple of years ago doing WeightWatchers, getting into running as my main form of exercise, then I got laid off on 9/9/01, followed by the WTC tragedy on 9/11 and so things all went sideways for awhile. I only gained about 14 pounds since then and recently re-committed to WW's (and I'm actually down about 7 pounds since I rejoined). I also have remained active with my running, completing my first half-marathon last May (but am just getting back into working out consistently since then - I took a big break). Now I'm interested in dropping more weight and building a lot of muscle - I want to get buff! My problem areas are my butt, and thighs, so I'm looking to lose inches and firm them up - right now I am very disproportioned. I would also like to tighten up my tummy area. I have thoughts of getting pregnant in a year or so and would like to be in the best shape possible before then. I've read some of the previous posts about eating more protein and healthy fat in addition to keeping the cardio to around 30 minutes and plan on incorporating that into my routine. I also will be taking an 8-week tai chi class beginning in July and am going to start training for my second half-marathon that will take place in October. During the week I can keep my cardio to 30 minutes, but eventually I'm going to have a weekly long run that can go up to 2 hours (running 10-15 miles). Any advice on how to achieve my goals is very welcome. I look forward to hearing back from you! Jen
tarab21
tarab21
United States
2003/06/23, 04:17 PM
congrats on recommitting. i don't know a thing about marathons but just wanted to say welcome to freetrainers.
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/06/23, 05:14 PM
Welcome Zeleny...are you doing any kind of resistance training? Working with weights? If you are just doing cardio you won't see the results you want as far as muscle gains.

--------------
~Victoria~
...Some things have to be believed to be seen!
ZelenyOko
ZelenyOko
United States
2003/06/23, 07:51 PM
Yes, I am doing the weight training recommended by this site 4 days a week. I chose to focus on gaining muscle mass in my abs, glutes and thighs. I went to the gym for my first workout tonight - I had a rough time walking down the stairs when I was done, so that's great! Of course, we'll see how I feel tomorrow when I have to go to work - walking down six stories (I am on the top floor of a sixth floor walk up - NO ELEVATOR!!!). Thanks for your input - I welcome more!

Jen
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/24, 10:49 AM
Welcome, Jen - I've had good results w/ the workouts here. I'm doing Progressive Gains and love it. Are you doing the mass program?
ZelenyOko
ZelenyOko
United States
2003/06/24, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your welcome! I am doing the gain muscle mass program and the special programs for the glutes, thighs and abs. First workout was yesterday and I'm sore in that GOOD way!

JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/24, 06:06 PM
I'm doing the target glutes and thighs, too - halfway through and seem to be getting results. I've thought about doing the mass program when I finish this one - keep us posted!