Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

new to deads

danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2008/04/19, 04:41 AM
hey i had my first proper deadlift session today ever and for some reason i found traditional stance impossible even with very low weight but sumo felt alot more natural.

IVe been looking around and i seem to find that sumo is more suited to the shorter arm shorter leg lifter. im 6'3 so this didnt fit for me but i was wondering why i felt so pathetically weak doing normal deads and it wasnt a problem of flexibility my body just didnt move:( is this a lower back issue as im sure im very weak and tight in my lower back is this why i would find sumo more comfortable??

--------------
OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2008/04/20, 01:08 PM
I had a friend who was 6'5 try deadlifts in the normal stance, and it looked terribly awkward. I think it's just your height; it's probably an issue of levrage.
danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2008/04/20, 08:55 PM
thanks for the tinnuk. I think the wider stance really helps with my knees because i found it very hard to clear my knees during normal stance i had to sit back very very far.

I also found it hard to keep a neutral spine with a wider grip is that normal?

--------------
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2008/04/20, 09:36 PM
a problem that i was having, especially as i got a little bigger gut and wore a bigger belt, is that i felt terribly awkward getting down to get the bar and retaining a good position. the cue that i set for myself was to spread my legs more when i got down, this opens up my hips some and allows me to get into a better, stronger position. its sort of hard to explain...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/04/20, 09:51 PM
try pulling with same stance you squat.

Trick with any kind of pulling stance is to be on the heels and sit back.

6'3 isn't too tall to pull conventional....just depends on hip strength and how low you can get.

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2008/04/21, 07:11 AM
nate do you mean as you would do in a squat spread the knees or to a lesser degree?

andrew thats what i keep reading on the heels heels heels and sitting back but thats actually were i felt my weakest.
as soon as i sat back i had zero strength and felt alot more powerful upright and it wasnt just the shorter ROM even with very little weight i found it very hard to sit back and lift is this pointing to a weakness or more of a technique issue?

also on a side note what would have more carryover to sprinting jumping ect as this is why im deadlifting would conventional because of more natural stance or would fact i could overload more on sumo be of more benefit? thanks very much

--------------
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2008/04/21, 08:09 AM
ok. well let me preface it by saying that i am 6'2 so we are similar in height, and im definitly long limbed.

its sort of like you would do in the squat. i just spread my knees out on the decent towards the bar, and it helps me sit better... its really hard to explain, but it just widens up my hip area and puts me in a better position.

in terms of what would have more carryover, it makes more sense that the conventional style would, but im not 100% sure if thats true or not...