Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

New and need some help

marie.cruz
marie.cruz
United States
2009/06/12, 07:29 PM
Hello all,

I?m here looking for a little help and guidance. My name is Marie and I?m 23. All my life I?ve been a little overweight. I?ll be honest, when I was a kid, I never really left the house and I never really ate healthy. Not because I didn?t want to, I just didn?t know any better and my parents know nothing about health and fitness.

I do like being healthy, I have a natural liking to healthy foods. I LOVE fruits, veggies, water, teas, etc. I like my junk foods like any normal person, but I?m not all that big on it. I don?t really like sodas and fried foods. I walk a lot and I love to hike, although I haven?t hiked since I left Nevada. My blood pressure and cholesterol have always been good. Still, I?m 5?3? and 175 lb.

My goal is to get down to my comfortable weight of 128lb.

I?ve started to go to the gym last week. I?ve gone every day this week. I do some weights to work on my shoulders, chest, biceps, gluts, thighs and calves. I also run on the treadmill or the elliptical machine.

Now, here I run into a bunch of questions.

Is Cardio better for losing weight?
What does cardio consist off?
What kind of exercises do I do for my abs (which is where I hold most of my fat)?
What is the fastest way to lose weight?
I can?t really run for to long, my throat gets really dry and my sides hurt quickly?

Lastly, I have always had trouble losing weight? I?m not sure why, but the only time I lost a lot of weight was when I got very depressed and just cried for hours each day. Not fun and don?t want to do it that way again.

I have many more questions that I can?t seem to remember at the moment, but any answers, comments and advice is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU:love:
2009/06/12, 10:35 PM
Welcome aboard Marie. I will try to answer some but the old pros will have to handle most.

With regard to cardio. Cardio is exercise that increases your heart rate, it can be a brisk walk, run, dance, cycling, jumping rope it doesn't matter as long as the heart rate is elevated for 20 to 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a week.

Cardio is necessary for increasing blood flow and for a healthy heart. A exercise program that includes both cardio and weight training is best. Weight training builds muscle and in turn the muscle that is built increases calorie burn.

I you have not been running long may I suggest just trying a walk at an increased pace. The drying of the throat could be because you need to increase fluids, try consuming water before you start on the treadmill or elliptical.

If you have not yet done so, allow this website design a fitness plan, I believe you can add extra ab work.

If you are already eating healthy I would also suggest monitoring your calorie intake or starting a food journal to see how much you are eating. I use a on line calorie counter and that helps.

Good luck and bring on the questions.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/06/12, 11:07 PM
Welcome to freetrainers marie.cruz.
There is no quick way to lose wait unless you agree for liposuction!
Like mad-mama said, cardio will increase your heart stregnth/blood flow and breathing. You will not lose weight from that alone. Along with the weights and diet, you will shed fat all over your body, not just your abs. Look at fatty tissue like the skin of an onion, as it comes off, it all evens out eventually. It may take some time, but well worth it with the rewards.
Increase your fiber intake and drink a lot of liquids.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
marie.cruz
marie.cruz
United States
2009/06/13, 01:00 PM
Thank you for your information. I?ve heard of people losing up to ten pounds in a week. Yes I know it?s extreme and not really healthy. I?m just cheap and don?t want to buy more clothes when I already have a full closet. But no worries, I?m not dumb enough to try that. I?ll take it slow and healthy.

Few more questions, I?ve worked out every day for the last four days, the first three days I was sore! Last night I only did half as much since I had to meet up with some people, but I still worked out. Today, I?m not a bit sore? Am I suppose to be to know I had a good workout? Or does it kinda fade the longer you do it?

Thanks for your time guys!
:):love: