Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

need some help with my new split routine

adamfitch
adamfitch
United Kingdom
2011/01/06, 05:22 PM
I used to lift all the time and be into it, and i was happy with the results i was seeing, but then i decided to start partying and it all went wrong!
Basically i need the best 4 day split, including cardio, and with only the use of free weights - without a bench. My aim is to gain mass, fitness and strength. Main aim is mass.
Theres so many different suggestions for splits on the internet that its confused me - i need help please. I will be ok to put the actual sessions together, but sorting out which days should be rest days for certain muscles is confusing me! Im free to workout on tuesday, wednesday, thursday, saturday and sunday!
Thanks everyone,
powertotrain
powertotrain
United States
2011/01/23, 08:35 PM
Exercise splits are difficult to figure out. You have to account for the size and fiber type of the muscles you are working, and also consider the ultimate goal of your workouts.

I run a site that might be able to help you out. www.powertotrain.com

I have some sample workouts up there that can help show you some generally accepted ways to split your exercises so that your muscles can actually grow.

I don't include the cardio in the workouts, but generally I would suggest about 3 days of cardio per week at between 20-30 to start. This is enough to stimulate your metabolism but not undermine your muscle build goals. Do your cardio on days when you aren't lifting, or at least on days where you aren't lifting your legs heavy.

Hope this helps

--------------
Scott Edson

My credentials: I have my masters in exercise science, worked in division I strength and conditioning, owned my own gym in suburban chicago, and now run a fitness website at

www.powertotrain.com