Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Need help for my husband please

bibigirl
bibigirl
Belgium
2002/06/06, 03:02 AM
My husband and I have been working out for a little more than 2 months 5 days a week. He is progressing great, but is not quite sure if its the right way. He has a little fat around his waist but was told by the fitness instructer that he should concentrate about getting as big as he wants and then try to lose the weight or to try and lose the weight and then get as big as he wants. Can he do both without losing muscle or should he do one and then the other? Also when should he take his protien drink, first thing in the morning or after his workout? Any thoughts?

----------------------------
"If you have the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed."
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/06/06, 06:48 AM
The reason the trainer says this is it is hard too build muscle and maximize fat loss at the same time. Building muscle requires eating more calories, and losing means having less than you need. If he is a beginner and changing the diet (better) and new to training he should see progress in both areas. As time goes on and the body adapts to its new lifestyle he will need to concentrate on one or another. Someting that works well is to cycle it. Example:
week 1-4 gain
week 5 harden (or lose fat)
week 6-8 gain
week 9-10 harden
week 11-12 gain
week 12-16 harden....... or something along these lines

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work....
Leslie
DougKolz
DougKolz
United States
2002/06/07, 11:07 AM
Hey, tell your husband to just hang in there. I'm fighting the same battle, and have been since Nov. I think there is a lot of nonsense and hype about losing all this weight in xx days. I don't think your hub needs to eat big for the bulking up calories ( like me, he's already got an ample supply with him ). If he just keeps plugging away with the weights and cardio, he'll get there soon enough. 2 months just isn't enough time. I do my protien in the AM, for what that's worth.
DougKolz
DougKolz
United States
2002/06/07, 11:07 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/06/07, 01:58 PM
Heres a good guide to follow that I once read in a magazine to help you set the right goals. If you are lean and carry less than 8% body fat (up to 15% for women) focus on getting bigger. If you have more body fat(over 17% for men and 24% for women) your goal should be shedding. You should really not focus on achieveing such dual results, instesad focus on one area at a time. Also remember DIET plays A HUGE role in training. Hope that helps some
Good Luck

--------------
BQ
AMERICAN MADE