Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Need Advice-The best program for me!

blackfrank
blackfrank
United States
2009/02/02, 10:48 PM
Hi,

I am about to embark on a new fitness program and I am not exactly sure in which direction to go because I have various concerns that I wish to address with this program.

About 5 years ago, I lost about 100 pounds over the course of a year through diet and cardiovascular exercise--no pills, no crazy crash diet. I just learned how to eat and how to move. I learned that for me to be in moderately good shape, I need to avoid sugar and white flour and this has more or less worked for me since. I have since gained some weight back but I am certainly far away from the unhealthy state I was in.

I have tried several times to begin lifting weights but various programs I have tried did not work for me. I did not see many results from my first attempts and in subsequent attempts, I was troubled by the fact that I would very quickly put on a great deal of mass from lifting. And this mass accrual occurred without the use of any kind of supplements. I became worried that I was becoming fat again, my waistline was expanding, and my clothes were not fitting properly anymore.

This time, I want to bring more patience, intensity, and work ethic to the gym but I want to do it the smart way. I also want to learn to love lifting weights in the same way that I love running and swimming and rowing.

So I hope that some of you can give me good food for thought on how to approach my problems. Bear in mind that I am willing to take the time to do this the right way. I am living in a situation where I am more easily able to control my diet. I find when I live alone, it is far easier to control my diet and I do not find myself feeling hungry or frustrated with healthy options.My diet is presently quite good with limited meat intake, a lot of beans, lowfat yogurt, oatmeal and brown rice.

Problem # 1: Saggy chest

I have a fair amount of fat and some skin on my chest. I really would like to improve the aestehtic appearance of my chest although I am not expecting any miracles. I would say that I would need to expand the size of my pectorals considerably to fill out the skin and get rid of the fat. Any advice on how to do this? I know that spot reduction is not a possibility. But interval cardio training, rowing, pushups plus what kind of weight training program would help me reach this goal?

Problem # 2 Mass

I would say that I am by nature, a large-framed individual. I will never be thin and super-cut but I have the potential to look good, strong, and powerful. I could probably stand to lose 20-30 pounds. Since I have this extra weight, does it mean I should not be embarking on a mass building program? But don't I need to build mass to solve problem#1? And since I am a large man, does that mean I should avoid taking supplements ala whey protein or glutamine?

Problem # 3 Supplements

Are there any supplements that would help me in reaching these specific goals? I do not have a lot of money after paying for a gym membership and other monthly expenses but I will invest the money if it will help me see the kind of results I want.

I am hoping that some of the posters here can help me move in the right direction. If anyone has any follow-up questions they would like to ask (if I forgot to include important information), I would be happy to do so.

I am set to meet with a personal trainer tomorrow and so along with your advice, I hope I can address my concerns.