Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Multivitamins: Too good to be true?

Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2008/04/28, 01:30 PM
Like most people, I find that my diet is not always as complete as it should be. As such, I've been considering taking a multivitamin, but I've heard somewhere along the lines that they've got certain disadvantages.

Aside from the possibility of receiving excessive doses of certain vitamins (iron for instance), I don't see what could really be that bad about them. What might I be overlooking?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/28, 01:48 PM
Men should always get a multi with no iron. Women need iron. Why in the world would a multi be bad for you?

An excess of vitamins? Like what? The only excesses you would have to worry about are your fat soluble, such as A, E and selenium. Even with these, it is difficult at best to get an 'overdose'.

Add in the factor that if you are on this board, you are probably working out. So, you are expending nutrients, and extra will in the very least not hurt you.

Even slugs, for overall health would do well to take at least a multi.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2008/04/29, 02:57 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought.