Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Motivation...Help.

DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/08, 11:02 PM
Lately I've been dissappointed in the slowing of results and have started to go on absolute rampages and overindulge on fatty foods, usually at nighttime. I know this has to be just horrifically killing my progress... But I can never convince myself of this until after the damage is already done. I was wondering if anyone has some facts that I can print off to view before I go and do this? It helps when I have motivation.. But lately it seems as if all of my old tricks don't work on me anymore.. I need that piece of factual information to view so that I don't lose all of the progress that I've spent my entire week on..

Thanks.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/09, 07:52 AM
make a list of your goals and al the reasons they aqre important to you. Make a pro/con list of what this behavior will lead to. use the lists as a go-to when you need motivation.

Also, find alternate behavior to replace the overindulging - when the urge strikes, go for a short walk, take a shower, play a video game, anything that will distract you for a while. Most urges don't last very long, so if you can distract yourself youmay be able to avoid the behavior. When i quit smoking i did push-ups everytime I wanted a cigarrette - got nice arms and got rid of aggression :)

If your results are slowing, it is time to look at your routine, your diet and your overall lifestyle and figure out what needs tweaking.

Also - often nighttime hunger (if you are really hungry) is due to not consuming enough calories throughout the day. make sure you are eating enough calories spaced throughout your day, otherwise it has been found that our bodies /minds find a way to get those calories...esp in the evening when 'willpower' tends to be lower.

I will try and find some 'hard' facts on overindulging for you...

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/09, 08:08 AM
Maybe you need to indulge once a week, a planned indulgence can sometimes kep you on track the rest of the week. Here is an article on cheat meals, the benefits of them and how to use them...

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/clean.htm
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/11, 12:54 AM
ah. thank you very much. It's funny how you make a point of nighttime hunger -- I took a look back over the past few days, and nearly half of my calories were consumed after I had completed physical activity for the day.. Not only does this cause problems with the indulgence of bad foods, it also is my guess as to why I'm no longer losing weight.

For example - Today I got up and ate a bowl of Fiber 1 cereal & had a banana..
at 12:00 I had a granola bar, did my workout around 13:00 to 15:00, and then had basketball practice from 15:30 until 18:00.
When I got home I was completely exhausted. I had 3 eggs then took a shower. After that I went onto a complete rampage.. Had 2 grilled chicken fillets, a bowl of life cereal, and then a hamburger an hour after.

Today was the worst yet. I usually eat more during the day, but somehow managed to overlook my hunger until coming home.

My schedule is off so much that I'm just forgetting to eat throughout the day and end up way overindulging at night. It's gotten so bad lately that I'm literally starting to see my stomach bulge out of my chest.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/11, 08:38 AM
"It's gotten so bad lately that I'm literally starting to see my stomach bulge out of my chest. "

Ummmm, are you sure you haven't picked up an alien lifeform...lol

try to get more calories in in the earlier part of the day and i bet your late night rampaging will calm down.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/11, 09:35 PM
Alien lifeform is what it's looking like lately. hah.

Yeah, it's tough with school, but I gotta find a way to adjust. thanks for the help..
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/12/11, 09:58 PM
its easy to see why you barely put down 800 calories before your rampage for me ive put down around 2700 calories by that point my stomach bulges out all day because its full of food when i wake up in the morning its flat though kinda weird little fats ok though bulk up cut it later id make time to eat if i was you especially being as you are in basketball burning all those calories by the time you eat at night your at a calorie deficit thats why your always hungry. good luck.
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/11, 10:30 PM
Thank you.

I'm constructing a nutrition guide for myself right now.

The times when I can eat are

Breakfast 0630-0645

Snack 0900

Lunch 1100

Boost meal 1400

Post workout meal

LIGHT supper 1800-2000

I figure that if I eat the right types of food and balance my daily calorie intake I will get back on track and boost everything back up to speed.

If anyone has a minute, could you help me in the construction of this?

I need help in what I need per each given meal.. (I.e. the fiber and protein in my breakfast meal.)

Breakfast 0630-0645 Fiber & Protein

Snack 0900 fruit & dairy?

Lunch 1100 (?)

Boost meal 1400 (?)

Post workout meal 1600-1800 Protein (?)

LIGHT supper 1800-2000 (?)
No food after 2000

Any help at all is highly appreciated..
Placement of calorie intake, carb sources and timing, protein, fats, fibers, etc. will all be a great help.

Thanks once again -
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/12, 03:41 PM
Ummm goals/ bodyweight? maintainence calorie amt?
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/12, 06:27 PM
ah yeah that'd probably help..

My bad, thought I had it on there.

Bodyweight - Current 177
Goal - 174 (then maintain or even gain)

Goals -
Lower bodyfat %
improve muscle strength
define

Daily Calorie intake - currently (On regular days) betweeen 3300 and 3500.. need to be changed?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/13, 10:28 AM
i wouldn't change your intake until you plateau. Start by switching your ratios, split up your intake to 40/30/30 pro/carbs/fat or 40/40/20 if you feel you want to lower carbs a little more gradually. stick to complex, unprocessed carbs, lean proteins and good fats as much as possible.split it a little diferently to get a few more carbs in the morning and pre/post workout. But I think it is simplest to start by dividing it evenly.

for now split it evenly over 5-6 meals, then if you want to you could

--------------

Lord Chesterfield
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/13, 09:59 PM
One more thing..

40/30/30 would be percentages on my calorie intake, correct? I've seen a pro/carb/fat divider on some products, but other just have the nutritional value guide.. Is there somewhere in ALL nutritional value guides that explains this? or is it just simple math?
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/14, 09:20 AM
I'm a bit confused... I looked at my protein powder this morning and for calories per gram it was 9 fat, 4 carbs, & 4 protein. If not even my protein powder has a higher protein ratio, how in the world am I supposed to get ~ 4/3/3?

I must be looking at the wrong thing?..

DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/14, 10:12 AM
disregard that lost post... Answered my own question.
rbault
rbault
United States
2008/12/15, 10:53 AM

============
Quoting from dcmoody23:

One more thing..

40/30/30 would be percentages on my calorie intake, correct? I've seen a pro/carb/fat divider on some products, but other just have the nutritional value guide.. Is there somewhere in ALL nutritional value guides that explains this? or is it just simple math?

=============
Try fitday.com
Use it as a diet journal and you will see the pie chart that shows your ratios...easy...no math involved : ). GL.
rbault
rbault
United States
2008/12/15, 11:13 AM
oh, I see. You are trying to use these ratios with each meal you consume. Try doing it in those ratios for the whole day...less complicated.

I eat most of my carbs after my workouts within 30-45 min or so.
If you are trying to lose bodyfat you should try low carbs before exercise so your body uses up glycogen (carbs) and then moves in on the fat reserves. If you eat carbs after your workout your restore (glycogen)what you just broke down...very important to have your protien shake and a mini meal after workouts. Hope this helps.
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/15, 08:10 PM
Helps a bunch.. Been keeping a journal of my daily intakes & starting to finally get the nutrition program in that I want. I'll take a look at that website you listed... Should help me get a better look & feel for %'s & adjust my nutrition accordingly. Thanks.