Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

mix static training with reps training

SCHSTUDENT
SCHSTUDENT
United States
2009/03/01, 11:52 AM
I'm 8 weeks into a static training cycle. The first 12 week cycle I tried a pure static training cycle. Both wrists and my left elbow ached the whole time. My weight increased 1 lb over the training cycle to 230. I did add ~ 20% to my one rep max on most exercises. This cycle I changed the workout to the following. Two warmup sets followed by one set of 10 reps (~6-12) with max weight and then finally the one set of static hold for 10-20 seconds. I perform one workout each Sunday. It takes 35 minutes. The results are great. Most importantly very little wrist or elbow pain. The A workout is overhead press, deadlift, standing curl, smith machine bench press, smith shrug, and ab machine crunch. The B workout is one hand pull down, smith machine close grip bench, leg press, calf raise, standing curl, ab machine crunch and for reps only one set of leg curls. I have increased the "10 reps" weights by ~ 34% and the static hold weights by ~22% according to my excel spread sheet. I had to start using straps on the static hold for the deadlift last week since I just hit 405 lbs for a 5 second hold and grip is lagging a little. Body weight has climbed 14 lbs to 244. I'm 6'4". Body fat has maintained at 16%. The bodyfat scale I use is a Tanita BC-553.

I would like recommendations for other exercises anybody has tried with static training. I'm a little bored with the same old same old.
2009/03/10, 08:01 AM
What are your goals? Seems like you're trying to get stronger and leaner?

You probably want to go to a strength/power board forums. There's one on this site but it's usually dead so bb.com powerlifting/strongman forum, sherdog's power/strength, ironaddict.com forum are some of your options. Go to www.gripboard.com for advice on strengthening your grip.

Generally I would tighten up the exercise selection. I would do freeweight compound exercises(mostly using barbell). I would ditch the smith machine and other machines.

#Deadlifts
#Squats
#Standing Press
#Bench
#Weighted Dips
#Weighted Chin Up/Pull Ups(or unweighted if you're still working on them)

#Cleans/Snatches/Jerks

I would consider switching to a different training protocol if you want to change things up and especially if strength/power are your goals. (Sheiko, 5/3/1, Bill Starr's 5x5, Madcow's 5x5, etc)