Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Maxing out Professionally

8step51
8step51
United States
2002/03/13, 10:54 AM
Hello all,
I was just wondering how much poundages is gonna be knocked off when i have to max like a professional in school next month. Its the kind where he says "down", and then he says "press" after a pause. Same thing for deadlift and squat. Thanks.

----------------------------
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/03/14, 12:22 PM
im not quite sure i understand your question. blame it on me getting older (LOL), but could you explain what you're trying to figure out?

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
8step51
8step51
United States
2002/03/15, 11:31 AM
Yea, our strength coach at school says when to lift the bar, then says down, and after a slight pause with the bar at your chest he says press. I have never done it that way but he says its how they do it in competitions. I have a feeling its gonna knock off a lot of pounds. For squat you have to go exactly parallel. And not rack the bar until he says. I hop i explained better that time.

--------------
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/03/15, 12:29 PM
got it that time! sorry about the need for the explanation...

ur coach is right: during competition, a judge will tell you when to lift. during the bench, for example, the pause on the chest after it decends must be long enough in order to allow the bar to stop moving/bouncing.

if you havent done this before, it can be quite a challenge, especially the first time through. my advice is to pratice this in the gym with someone to call the lifts so you get some decent pauses. dont go max right off... get a feel for it first, and then work up to a heavy lift. if you're able to get used to it, the poundage difference between the gym and the platform will be minimal.

hope this helps..........

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/03/15, 01:12 PM
Just saw this clip the other day and it seems somewhat similar to what your asking for. Only in this video the guy sitting behind the bench only tells them when to press and rack and the guy pressing the weight has help taking it off the rack initially...

http://www.maxresultsnutrition.com/daves.mov