Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

marines

kibbz
kibbz
United States
2001/07/05, 08:55 PM
im thinking about enlisting in the marines. are there any ex-marines out there or maybe somebody that knows a marine? is it a good descision? will boot camp make you huge?
erin4ever1990
erin4ever1990
United States
2001/07/06, 12:29 AM
No, boot camp does not make you huge. It will discipline you as will all branches. If you are seriously considering the military, I would look into either Airforce or Navy. The reason for this is because they will treat you like a human-being. I am currently Navy Reserve, Husband-prior Army (Special Forces), Father-Army Special Forces, Brothers-Airforce and two cousins are Marines. Entire family is military. Also, what are you looking for in the military and where would you like to see yourself at in the future? Enlisted? or Officer? and what programs are you considering?
BillK
BillK
United States
2001/07/07, 05:37 PM
Kibbz, they will run your ass off. You will run so much you will get sick and puck! As erin4ever1990 said "it will discipline you" I'm telling you will feel like your being murdered everyday for your first couple of weeks. In no way will it make you big but however you will have great endurance and will be able to run for MILES. If your looking for a challange do it.

~billk~
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/07/07, 07:46 PM
Boot camp does not make you huge but as told it will give you discipline(if you don't have it already) and confidence. It's amazing that erin you say treated like a human being. Did Special forces training treat recruits with air conditioning, weekends off? No, because for combat people have to be mentally prepared. In this day and age of high-tech weaponry we don't see a lot of the enemy. The military does more policing. It's also interesting that businesses now use Marine theory of every soldier being able to think and solve for themselves. Get a problem and come up with the solution without having to be told how. I think too that they look to the Corps because they have a better track record in discipline. Accordingly today wouldn't you have to agree that most young people are ego centric and don't like to do anything uness it is good for them? Now who would you like to have next to you in combat?
erin4ever1990
erin4ever1990
United States
2001/07/07, 10:11 PM
There is a huge difference of what the military puts out today, then back in the day. Yes, when training soldiers there has to be unquestionable preparedness. However, many of these soldiers are not being trained how to think and solve anything on their own. I am a trainer in my unit I see what is being produced in all branches. When I say being treated like a human-being, I mean in the full spectrum of the service, not in training. There is more to military life than just the training. I would encourage every person to serve at least one to two years in the service. When it comes to life issues, there is a big difference in the branches of service. In terms of training, you are absolutely right. When I went to Saudi and things were getting a little hairy we had every branch and all the special forces there. Some for brain and some for brawn, it all works together for a reason. Nevertheless, growing up in and around the military has given me all the experiences I need to base my opinion. Also, you have to consider what you want after you get out of the military and if what you bring from the military can benefit you in civilian life.(excluding boot camp)

In all fairness though, marines do have a much more challenging boot camp.
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/07/08, 07:47 PM
In all fairness you have to say that the military doesn't treat anyone "fairly". We look at the budget proposed and still see military personnel on food stamps, low-income housing if married. Come on we also know that in military justice you are guilty till proven innocent. You have no "rights" and they can search you anytime they like without probable cause. Just because one branch of the service has more perks, i.e air conditioning,etc. still in my mind only belays the fact that your body belongs to the federal government and that you have given up the right to say what it will do. I'm from a military family and have found that you might as well go to collge and decide for yourself what you t to be. Hell with critical fields. Today's military might be different in that we only have a small percent of the force that actually sees combat, so the percentages of you being KIA are quite small. But for me the rewards were not worth the sacrifice. Maybe if what we fight for was actually worthy of life for country, but not for big money. We don't go where there is no financial gain.
I_sly
I_sly
United Kingdom
2001/07/08, 07:30 AM
Dude I am in the AF and for quality of life purposes, I suggest the AF. They do not treat Marines very well. If you want to know more you can e mail me at:

erin.pfeifer@lakenheath.af.mil

I_sly
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/07/08, 08:41 PM
I should just keep my big mouth shut. I usually don't get involved in these discussions. You cannot in my opinion know what is right for someone else, as you do not know their personalities or traits. What makes one thing "good" for one is not nesecessarily "good" for another. The answer I guess then would be;" No it will not make you huge", and "I don't know if it is a good decision for you". No one can tell you what is right for you.
erin4ever1990
erin4ever1990
United States
2001/07/08, 11:38 PM
No, skylar you shouldn't. Everyone has to make their own decisions. And, depending on which branch of the military you have been exposed to, your opinion will vary. Each branch serves its purpose. We need marines like we need brain surgeons, janitors etc. I guess that what I have seen in regard to respecting families in the military, I would give my hats off to the Airforce. But, in your last post, I would have to agree 100%. The cause! Especially, when one has to deal with the aftermaths of war and what it does to you or someone you love. My job was not a AC job as you call it, but those ppl sitting in ac serve a purpose as well.
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/07/15, 08:22 PM
By the way I was a jarhead for 4 years. Used to put my pickle suit up in a jar next to the pb&j at night. Was honorman in my training platoon, 1st in "A" school and meritorious E-4,5. Been there,done that. 1969-1973.