Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Lower back, Ruptured discs

tcwlsn
tcwlsn
United States
2004/07/18, 11:28 PM
I've been reading a bunch lately on the message board about how we should let "ruptured discs" "heal". There is alot of difference between a ruptured disc and a Bulging or "Slipped disc".
Ruptured discs are referred to when the annulus, or outer ring, the strongest part of the disc, has torn and allowed the inner, resilient portion (nucleus pulposus)to squirt out. This may result in bulging (protrusion) of the disc or even extrusion of disc material into the spinal canal. This condition has been called herniated disc, ruptured disc, herniated nucleus pulposus, or prolapsed disc.

There are numerous nonoperative treatment options. Most encompass a combination of bed rest, physical therapy, chiropractic care, and medication. Analgesics or muscle relaxants can sometimes help relieve pain. The most commonly prescribed drug therapy involves NSAIDS (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs).

With a ruptured disc,where the nucleus has extruded out from in between the vertabre,(sometimes "pinching nerves")there really is no way to "Heal" this extrusion except through surgery of trimming the extruded material or through vertabrale axial decompression (VAX-D), where the spine is actually pulled into a vacuum through a computerized "Rack" system, sucking the nucleus back in.
I've had 2 bulged and one ruptured disc for two years and I didn't want to have my lower back fused. Doctors love to cut first and answer questions later. I have used chiropractis and pilates, in addition to lower back exercises and ab exercises to minimize the pain and allow myself to still work out. BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU EXPERIENCE LOWER BACK PAIN!! HAVE IT CHECKED OUT, MRI'S MAYBE NECESSARY TO FIND OUT WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON!! I'm no Doctor but I've been there, done that and don't wish it upon anyone. Just a thought.....
canmod
canmod
Canada
2004/09/28, 11:01 PM
thanks your post was informative perhaps you can help me

i herniated a disk in my lower back last year but was not woorked on because no doctor believed me till they finally took an mri 6 months later. it has been healing slowly and just recently i gave it a little tweak skateboarding and its hurting again. i plan to do major physio this winter but have nothing but my room and some free weights to do it and little knowledge of stretches and workouts i should be doing for this type of injury.

if anyone could gimme some advice on what to do or where to find the information i need that would be great

thanks im new to this forum and i think its a great idea
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/09/29, 12:57 PM
you need to see a doctor, sports therapest.....what worked for him, could paralize you.

--------------
......quote the Andrew....nevermore