Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Legs

Anum1234
Anum1234
Pakistan
2008/05/18, 01:24 PM
Hi all.. my question is calves.

Let me start by saying my calves are very ugly and tiny. training my calves is very very difficult for me. i think to begin with my ankles are weak. Still, i have been giving it my best shot. i do standing calf raises on a machine on alternate days. At the moment my maximum weight on the machine is 15 pounds. On the days in between i do 100 raises without weight. i have been doing this for two months and am still where i started. On some days my calves feel stronger and pumped and i feel a slight difference. Then they atrophy!!

I am back to square one again! and wondering if this is a waste of time. I'll never be able to develop my calves. I feel very sad. :(
taniac22
taniac22
United States
2008/05/27, 06:39 PM
Hey Anum, I hear ya. Sometimes my calves seem very strong and other times I feel like I haven't walked in ages, they feel weak. I don't necessarily have any suggestions for ya. Just wanted you to know, I know how that feels. Hope you feel better and not so sad about your calves.
2008/05/27, 06:53 PM
calves are really hard to build up. I had pretty good success when I added one legged calf raises done on stairs. The idea is to hang your heel over the edge of the step so you not only do the raise in one direction but really let it stretch out when you lower the heel below the step. Doing them on one foot will really burn. Do these in addition to whatever machines you're using. I added weight eventually using disks in a back pack. Keep walking and bike ride if you can.

Above all, keep at it.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie