Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

leg raises...it hurts!

liamofthewoods
liamofthewoods
Ireland
2005/04/13, 10:55 PM
Would be really grateful for some advice on leg raises which I have started as part of my abs workout. I'll try to give you as much info as possible. I have an old lumbar injury..(two ruptured discs) but I've had it so long I'm used to the odd twinge (master of understatement:))and I'm careful. If I feel I'm overdoing it I stop, rest it, and then get on with things. I don't have access to a gym so I'm doing this at home without equipment other than a couple of dumbells. My problem is that when I do leg raises my lower spine crunches on the floor and its pretty excruciating (actually not pretty at all....just excruciating!) I wondered if there is some alternative method to work the same muscle group or some way to vary the exercise to keep the affected area from grinding on the floor.
I did complete the sets of reps but I've got that warning ache and tingle running down to my knee and I don't think it's advisable for me to do these in future.
i've checked the other posts on back problems but couldn't find anything on this specific.

....apart from this the workout hurts real nice! LOL
hope you can help.

--------------
Change is inevitable; except from vending machines

Liam.
liamofthewoods
liamofthewoods
Ireland
2005/04/14, 07:55 PM
I'm due to do another abs workout on saturday but wont be back to a computer till Sunday night so if anyone has any suggestions now would be a good time:big_smile:. I dont want to end up doing an incomplete workout if I can help it.

--------------
Getting older isn\'t so bad...if you consider the alternative.

Liam.
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/04/15, 05:20 AM
What about doing seated leg tucks? they would also work for lower abs - I don't know how your back would handle them.

good luck
thedominator
thedominator
United Kingdom
2005/04/15, 12:40 PM
yeah liamofthewoods.. i got ur PM.. you can do sitting leg raises as princess said.. or u can do hanging leg raises.. where u hang from a chinning bar and raise ur legs as much as u can.. to have extra ease in the exercise u can bend ur kness and only raise knees towards ur stomach.. same can be done when lying down.. bending knees will help reduce the weight u have to pick.. so ur lower back will be in a lot of ease as compared to straight legs..

another additional help is to keep ur hands under ur hips when doing leg raises.. that also eases pressure on ur lower back...

so i would say.. start by putting ur hands under ur hips when doing lying down on floor and then slightly pick up ur legs off the floor.. then bring ur knees towards ur stomach....

hope i helped....

--------------
A life worth living is a life lived with honor and dignity..bow to no moral.. THATS ME

Me and My Body are competitors... we compete each other for different goals..

supplements are Helpers.. not the Drivers of Health wagon
liamofthewoods
liamofthewoods
Ireland
2005/04/19, 08:09 PM
Thank you Princess and Dominator... Seated or hanging should definately solve the problem. This is a big help. Are they both as effective as leg raises in the lying position?

By the way did the full workout at the weekend anyway...stubborness and stupidity is a dangerous copmbination :big_smile:

--------------
Life is simp;e.
It\'s just not easy.

Liam.
liamofthewoods
liamofthewoods
Ireland
2005/04/19, 08:11 PM
oops:surprised:....how did I get a p in combination???

--------------
Life is simp;e.
It\'s just not easy.

Liam.