Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Last pounds - what kind of diet?

verygoldfish
verygoldfish
United States
2008/03/23, 08:55 PM
I started losing weight in January of this year (by participating in a fitness challenge). The result is -24 lbs so far, 10 days to go until the official results! My goal weight loss was 28 lbs, I am very close. I workout once a day (cardio, resistance, abs) and some days squeeze in a second workout, such as a running session second time a day (30 minutes, training for a 10K).

My question is - do you have any suggestions diet wise on how to beat a plateau (I am feeling it now) and lose those last 4-5 lbs? I am varying my workouts and times of day for exercise, I am looking for tips on diet more than anything else.. As much as I am tempted to try a :diet: in the next few days I am afraid to go on too much calorie restriction and lose muscle. What number of calories can I consume without compromising anything with my active workout schedule? Any suggestions as for the balance of carbs/protein/fat in my diet? Specific foods? I would be grateful for any tips!!!
verygoldfish
verygoldfish
United States
2008/03/23, 08:56 PM
I forgot to add - I am 5' 7", current weight 131 lbs.
verygoldfish
verygoldfish
United States
2008/03/25, 11:05 AM
anyone???
cjs001
cjs001
United Kingdom
2008/03/25, 12:28 PM
Hey there, first of all congratulations so far! I am by no means an expert but I know about this frustrating plateau; my best advise is to hang in there and don't let it throw you off. I just had this problem for the last few months, my new diet and exercise was working great until it just stopped. I was ready to throw it all out and quit but I'm too stubborn to let fat beat me! haha.

Anyway, I cut out all my cheats (even little ones like diet soda) and after a couple of weeks of eating totally clean and not skipping any workouts, suddenly the scale dropped 5lbs! I was so thrilled, the hard work was totally worth it so hang in there!!

ps. it looks like a new challenge is starting here so maybe join in and get some more advise
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/03/25, 01:29 PM
Sometimes a 'plateau' is a jumping off point, meaning if you have been dieting a while and you have simply stalled no matter what, hormones have begun to play a larger role, this is typically a point where you need to get off the diet for a while, eat at prior maintenance for a few weeks, and then hit the diet again. Unfortunately, our bodies do not always respond well to our percieved goal weights. We have to 'coax' it along. Fat/weight loss is a product of caloric restriction of some manner, and doing this for extended periods of time invites the body to start 'fighting back'.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

verygoldfish
verygoldfish
United States
2008/03/25, 02:36 PM
Cjs001, thanks for the congrats, same to you! definitely join a challenge.

Actually, this is so funny you mention getting off the diet - I had a free for all two days during easter when I didn't watch the calories and ate foods with butter, some sugar etc - and today the scale is off by 2 lbs!!! down! :) I haven't stopped working out though. Now I decided trying not to eat anything past 6 pm, and just go to bed if I start feeling hungry - I think this is going to work too!! Good luck to us all!! :)
============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Sometimes a 'plateau' is a jumping off point, meaning if you have been dieting a while and you have simply stalled no matter what, hormones have begun to play a larger role, this is typically a point where you need to get off the diet for a while, eat at prior maintenance for a few weeks, and then hit the diet again. Unfortunately, our bodies do not always respond well to our percieved goal weights. We have to 'coax' it along. Fat/weight loss is a product of caloric restriction of some manner, and doing this for extended periods of time invites the body to start 'fighting back'.

=============