Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Just joined today

Caroline93
Caroline93
United States
2012/03/25, 11:16 AM
Hello! My name is Caroline. This year I've managed to gain 60lbs! Im at 200. I need to get started! But I need your help on where to begin please. I need a starting point. Thanks!
2012/03/25, 11:37 AM
Hi Caroline, welcome to FT. First, look to your diet. Try to gradually phase out processed food, sugar and soda. They probably do the most damage. Start exercising slowly and sensibly. Walk before you run. Lift lightly before you lift heavily. A slow start regarding lifting is critical. You want to learn the proper form for each exercise. You really want to avoid injury and over doing it. If you end up too sore to move, you'll probably get discouraged and quit. Most importantly, you didn't get where you are quickly. You can't change it quickly.

Join some groups here. Support and be supported. I find that people who participate stick around more frequently than those who don't. Join our beginner group and ask questions. Keep a training log. . People read them and offer encouragement.  This needs to be approached as a lifestyle change rather than an "I need to lose weight" thing. Good luck.
Caroline93
Caroline93
United States
2012/03/25, 11:46 AM
Thanks! Im working on cutting the junk out of my diet. Im not really a sweets person but salt is another thing! :-) With the weather getting warmer I'm going to start walking everyday and build from there. Like you said I don't want to to far too fast! Just working in the yard the other day made me sore! Crazy!
2012/03/25, 11:49 AM
Pain is weakness leaving the body but too much just makes me cry.