Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Just a quick cardio question

aimforcody
aimforcody
United States
2009/10/18, 12:01 PM
Okay, i just started this site, seems great!
i have a quick question about cardio, i don't have access to a gym, but i do have access to a track to run on, just as good right? i mean, im really trying to loose weight and i really ambitious and ready to do whatever i have to, so if i need to have a gym and weights ill spend the money i don't have to get what i need.

im sick of being unhealthy and i want to look better.
thank you so much to the makers of this site and the moderators of the fourms =]
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/10/18, 07:20 PM
A track is good for running, jogging fast walk or even all of the above at the same time. The idea is to do something that will get your HR up.
Good luck.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/10/19, 03:36 AM
Running on a track will definitely do as much as you can do on a treadmill providing that you set yourself up with a programme to stick to. Otherwise it's too easy to just jog a little bit, get bored and stop.

It might also be worth looking at doing some road or trail running in order to get some variety and a bit of different scenery once you start to build up distances.

What's your aim in terms of the running? Just to lose weight? To aim for a particular distance?

Al
aimforcody
aimforcody
United States
2009/10/19, 11:38 AM
My aim with running is to get my cardio and to loose weight, while at the same time i'd like to be able to run good amounts of distances without getting winded so fast.

thanks a lot for the input.

any ideas as to how to get myself to the point where i can run for extended amounts of time without getting winded and without getting leg fatigue?
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/10/20, 05:10 AM
As my fiance's dad told me when I took up running "it's all about getting the miles in the legs". What he meant by this was there's no substitute for practise. The more you run, the easier it becomes.

In terms of burning fat your best running workouts are long and slow sessions which is where road or trail running will probably be best as it limits the boredom factor. Start off by aiming to run a mile without stopping. Maybe aim to do it in 10 minutes to start with? (I don't know your current level so can't recommend for sure).
Gradually build up your distance as you get into it (week 2 or 3 could be 1.5 miles etc) and once you get comfortable running for longer times, maybe try to pick up the pace slightly. Anything up to about 8 minutes per mile will give you great fat burning.

In terms of getting leg strength & stamina and improving your cardio-vascular fitness, you may be better working on the track as you mentioned previously. This allows for Fartlek sessions which are known to provide excellent improvements in cardio fitness. Try sprinting 50 meters as hard as you can, walking 50 meters and then sprinting 50 again... repeat this for one lap of the track, have a rest and then go again. You should find this will improve your cardio fitness very quickly along with helping your recovery time as it's training your body to recover as quickly as possible.

Hope this helps a bit.

Al
aimforcody
aimforcody
United States
2009/10/20, 01:43 PM
Thanks a lot Al, I'm definitely going to start trying all of your suggestions.