Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

inches on arms

louch
louch
United States
2004/04/11, 09:26 PM
i am trying to gain lean mass, and i have noticed my arms look a littler slimmer, since i have been trying to get cut. I was wondering, what was the best way to gain some inches on my arms?
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/11, 10:37 PM
I'm no expert, but from all I've learned, low reps and high weight is how you get bigger. Also, many people tend to think more about biceps when they talk arms. Most of your arm size is your tricep. Do curls with Dumbells, Barbell, EZ Bar, Preacher curls, Hammer curls, and such exercises for biceps. Tricep pushdowns and skull crushers are 2 good tricep exercises. When you do exercises like bench press or military press (triceps) or pull downs (biceps), your arms are worked secondarily depending on how you perform the exercise (Example: wide grip for bench press focuses on chest). Anyways, look at the exercises in the area on the website that lists exercises for specific muscle groups, and remember lower reps and higher weight for size. Gator probably knows a lot more than I do though.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/04/12, 08:35 AM
What does this have to do with strength training?
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/04/12, 09:13 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/12, 11:52 AM
you can't "gain" and cut body fat at the same time. If your losing body fat, then yes body parts will get smaller, but be more "cut".........to gain you need extra calories,,,,to loose you need less calories....think about it your working against your self. That is if I understand your post correctly.
And yes I agree this has really nothing to do with stength training. Arms are for show usually.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/12, 04:14 PM
Actually if you have a very strict specific diet and do the right kind of workouts, you can gain muscle mass and cut fat at the same time. Gatormade was talkin about it in a different post. And damn yall don't gotta dog on louch cuz he asked about arm workouts in a powerlifting thread. He's obviously pretty new to the site (he has 17 posts) so be easy.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/04/12, 10:38 PM
LOL - Welcome louch. Didn't mean to come across like a grouch, it's just that this forum is about being strong rather than looking strong, which makes a big difference in how one approaches their training.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/13, 11:23 AM
lol yall were right, it is two different subjects, but I just remembered I really didn't know very much when I first joined the site (not that I'm expert now) but this site's about helpin people and I guess it just kinda hit me wrong. I wasn't trying to come across mean to yall ursusarktos or bigandrew, it's all good here.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi