Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

I'M CONFUSED! NEED HELP BADLY!

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2003/07/08, 12:05 AM

I have been workin out a lot at the gym, but I still don't understand my workout plan on FT.....I don't get what the target reps are and why on the first week that it has weight filled in for me on some exercises?? I'm really confused but I'd like to do the actual program asap. thanks

--------------
If Satan ever tries to remind you of your past, just tell him of his future!
timbaland
timbaland
United States
2003/07/08, 01:01 AM
Target reps are the number of reps that you should try to do. Say for example you're doing bench press and the target rep is 14. You should choose a weight that you can do 14 times. I don't know why the weights would be filled in for you.
sdmusclebuddy
sdmusclebuddy
United States
2003/07/22, 04:54 PM
I think that the reps are a goal for a given set, not the limit. If you can do more, do so, then on the next set, increase the weight. I find that during the first set or two, I am just getting the muscles ready for the sets that stimulate growth, or what I call the Money Sets. By set three, you should have found the weight that allows you to complete the target number of reps only after a full, b@lls out effort. In other words, failure should occur. This is where having a spotter can help you grow. I can almost always eek out an extra rep with a spotter watching. It's a mind thing. One other mind thing I use is keeping track of my estimated one-rep max using the training log here. The formula for 1RM uses the weight and number of reps to get
the estimate. Because of this, each rep you do on your best set increases your estimated 1RM by as much as ten pounds. I think about this when I'm training and it helps me force out an extra rep or two and keeps that strength curve on an upward angle.

--------------
Keep pumpin`
Rick