Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

If anyone is willing to help me....

gwenyth
gwenyth
United States
2003/05/11, 04:48 PM
A couple years ago I became anorexic and bulimic. I went to therapy and have recently been told I am better as fully as they can help. However, the clinic got me gain wieght, but now I can't lose some of the excess. I exercise daily about 1 hour and I eat about 1200 calories/ day. I don't lose any weight and don't increase my strength. I'm so confused and if anyone could help me out... I would totally appreciate it!!! Please get into contact with me about any help you can give... thanks!! sunm00nstar1@aol.com
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2003/05/11, 07:02 PM
1200 calories a day sounds very low for a diet where you gain muscle. For anyone really.. but I would probably want to know more about this diet and your goals in general. Whats that 1200 calorie diet look like.... what are the carbs/protien/fat of it. Its pretty difficult to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time with probably a few beginner exceptions. Also what does your 1 hour of exercise consist of... all cardio? weightlifting?.. Finally did you get this 1200cal/day figure from ft nutrition section or something and are you following one of the ft exercise plans?

Not sure what to say.. at least fill out your profile.. maybe this is more a question for philla...
gwenyth
gwenyth
United States
2003/05/11, 09:46 PM
My diet consists of about 50 carbs/48 protein/ and 2 fat. My exercise regimine consists of about 30 minutes of cardio- usually a steeping machine or riding my bike in the country w/ hills and pretty rough terrain. Then I come back and do squats, ab exercises, etc. The eating thing is my own set up. I am scared that if I eat more I will keep gaining. I am also only 18, and all my friends do no exercise and like lose a bunch of weight. Maybe with this info you can help out alittle. Any help would be appreciated... thanks... :)
gwindalyn
gwindalyn
United States
2003/05/11, 10:03 PM
I am not an expert, but here is what I am learning...

What is your current height and weight? What is your body fat percentage? I have found that the only way I can lose weight is to use weight lifting as part of my exercise routine as well as eating 1 gram protein per lb body weight, .5 gram carb per pound, and .25 gram fat per lb. All of the food is good clean food like tuna, chicken breast, kidney beans, black beans, olive oil, spinach, salads, oatmeal, strawberries, peaches, lean beef, lima beans etc etc. I also use a protein powder or a protein bar each day to get enough protein in.

I have been told that I should be eating 8 - 10 calories per pound body weight in order to lose weight. Keep in mind, this is combined with a cardio program and a weight lifting program and all of the calories come from "clean" foods.

I have been following this, and I am losing weight. I take in roughly 1800-1900 calories a day and I'm losing. I would think that 1200 calories is not enough. Your body may be storing what you eat because it thinks you are fasting and it will starve. If so, this is just making your exercise counter productive.

--------------
~Jennifer
http://www.gwindalyn.com
If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.
laramertz
laramertz
United States
2003/05/12, 12:57 PM
You might want to go to www.abcbodybuilding.com and check out the womens forum. There are a few posts on there currently about the importance of fat in your diet. There is also a post by the title "calories" that may be of interest to you.
gwenyth
gwenyth
United States
2003/05/12, 03:57 PM
Thanks to everyone who put some imput in. I appreciate it all!!!
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/05/13, 06:06 PM
Don't be afraid of dietary fat. 2% of 1200 = 24 calories, which is a mere 3g of fat!! The body can survive without carbs, but not without fat or protein. I recommend increasing your fat intake to at least 10% or your total daily calories. I, personally, won't go under 20%. I'm particularly stalwart after reading up on the beneficial effects of good fats.

fatsforhealth.com

Unforunately people are still slow to accept that fats aren't the evil substance that we were once told they were. Omega-3 polyunsaturates and monounsaturates are far better for you health wise than any carb.

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
optimum
optimum
United States
2003/06/21, 08:43 PM
Dear Gwenyth,

I am currently working with an Anorexic in my Christian Counseling Service. She is a bit older than you but in reading your words you and her sound the same. I am not a fitness expert but I will encourage you to keep eating and not rely on how you "feel" about your body. The is a distortion with the eating disorders (which I am sure you already know). I pray you have/ and are still receiving encouragement through counseling and you have/are redefining yourself in all the areas of who you are (physical, emotional, mental and spiritual). May you know the Lord and His ability to heal your inner turmoils and doubts. I am here for you too!! Blessings and health to you!!!

in peace,
Optimum (Paula)