Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

I Stink At The Bench Press...

treadhead
treadhead
United States
2004/03/03, 11:58 PM
and I always have. Understand, I have been in good shape most of my adult life. I've been in the military since 1979 and have always been a maximum performer in just about any physical activity I've tried - except the bench. During the four or five times I have lifted for extensive periods of time since around 1990 I have always made good progress in every area - except the chest. I just don't get it. I could see positive development everywhere while my chest would lag behind the rest of my body. I'd make SOME progress but no where near what I should have. Jeez, I can remember when I lifted 225 one time - what a victory that was. In the meantime, when I'm tested on push-ups I can knock out like 75-80 in two minutes. Go figure. So my guess is genetics have consigned me to have a 42 inch chest the rest of my life - or does someone have a full proof routine that will 1) enable me to lift more, and 2) give my chest some size. If it helps to know I'm 6'0 and weigh about 200 pounds. Thanks in advance
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/03/04, 07:51 AM
well doing that many push ups does take strenght to a point. But lifting heavy and growing the chest takes low reps and heavy weight. What was your workouts like for chest?

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
treadhead
treadhead
United States
2004/03/04, 11:15 AM
7707mutt - thanks much for the reply. I always followed
Weider programs. My build (not too long ago) was what
you might call slim athletic. I was in my best shape ever
when I was 6'0, 175 - even though I wanted to be bigger.
I could never get anyone (who didn't lift) to understand
why. "You're in great shape," they'd say, "why is this
an issue for you?" I could never shake the image of how
I'd been built the whole time I was growing up - ultra
skinny. That's why it was a big deal. But I digress. I
did lift heavy with low reps - which is how I was able to
make the gains I did. I'd be lifting and guys who I knew I
was in better shape than would stroll into the gym and toss
225 up in the air like it was no big deal. You can't
imagine how much that'd tick me off. What's funny (sorta)
is that when I lift I get the exact opposite result from my
arms. They start (if I'm just getting back to weights)
almost immediately showing results. My back does pretty
good as well. So, does this sound like I'm in a battle with
genetics that I'm just going to have to fight through?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/03/04, 11:27 AM
I hate the genetics argument. It takes constant consistent training to make gains. Sure we each have body parts that respond better (my arms and legs, and back), and those that do not (my chest calves shoulders). Does that mean I just give up? No I find ways around it. Post what workout you do for chest exactly....we can figure something out.

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2004/03/04, 11:52 AM
Like those infomercials by John Basedow, it's "variety of training" that will yield results. Powerlifters have the uncanny ability to train their nervous systems efficiently, and work with different techniques to get the job done.

Personally, what worked for me was not just working with heavy weights, but also improving my technique and incorporating speed days on certain weeks.

There are many things you can do to get your bench unstuck. Read around this forum to get some ideas.

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!

E-mail: rpacheco@freetrainers.com
treadhead
treadhead
United States
2004/03/04, 02:44 PM
Thanks - and for what it's worth I don't like the genetics thing either. Gives me an out I know I'd never take.

Still, it bears mentioning that genetics has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that I can't carry a tune to save my arse.

Lately, I've been working with dumb bells and alternating between close grip, flies, incline, decline. I'm just about ready to start moving up in weight. Takes a few weeks to reach my normal training weight as my left shoulder hurts quite a bit these days whenever I start back with weight training.

I start at about 45 pounds and drop off about 5 pounds as I move from one exercise to the next - doing about 8-10 reps per set.

I'm down to about 25 pounds by the time I get to my last exercise. This may seem like a significant drop but I'm usually moving along at a pretty good clip so I can get some cardio benefit as well.

I know I should be using the bench but presently I'm working in a place where the fitness center doesn't have the kind of gym rats that one can typically rely on to offer a spot. Every once in a while there'll be someone to assist and those are the times when I bench. Currently, pushing up 145 is a chore.

No, I'm not kidding.