Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

How to perform an unassisted squat

kent_brockman
kent_brockman
Australia
2004/02/26, 09:38 PM
Today I finally got a barbell and a heap more weights so im going to start getting into powerlifting for football and sprinting, anyway i was wondering as I have never done them before, how do I perform a unnassisted squat? any help would be appriciated.
kent_brockman
kent_brockman
Australia
2004/02/26, 11:11 PM
so it is immpossible to get it onto my traps without a rack? cause i tryed before to like get it off my bench with 55kg on it, that didnt work, didnt even budge, if i cant do them, what other exercises can i do with my weights that are as good as squats for increasing my 100m time and explosiveness, and not pylometrics, resistence exercises :dumbbell:
2004/02/26, 11:12 PM
Dumbell squats, Dumbell lunges,

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/02/27, 12:31 AM
I fyou can't do squats, do clean and presses, not as good as squats but they will work..............don't forget about deadlifts too...............running stairs, sprints, all those will help at running

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/02/27, 08:42 AM
Deadlifts are a great leg exercise. Power cleans are an excellent choice. Try one-legged squats with dumbbells or with the barbell. Do power clean into front squats. Try this:
Catch the power clean stand then parallel front squat. Do 3 sets of 3 like that to start out.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/02/27, 08:45 AM
Below parallel squats are ok as long as you do not bounce or try to use a weight that is too heavy.
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/02/29, 04:00 AM
I thought an unassisted squat is where you did them with out spotters not with out a cage.

--------------
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it is gone past me I will turn to see fear's path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/02/29, 04:21 PM
Great advice Gatormade. That's a great idea to combine the power clean and front squat. One thing you can do is wall sits. Another form of squats that should help you out are wall squats: Lean against a wall with a basketball between your lower back and the wall with your feet out in front of you and squat to parallel, pause for 5 full seconds, and explode up. Do 3 sets of 10, it should help your leg conditining.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
\"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work.\" H. L. Hunt