Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

How Much Weight

epate4
epate4
United States
2007/11/16, 02:51 PM
I am new to this site, i'm also kinda new to this fitness thing. I have been given a decision by my Dr. lose weight or go on meds for high blood pressure. I have my fitness plan here and am supposed to start Monday. I just need to know how to decide how much weight I need to use for each set. How much do I start off with? Do I increase or decrease the weight with each set? How much of a weight change with each set? Thanks for any help you can give. I'm actually llooking forward to starting this program on Monday! :dumbbell:
2007/11/16, 03:04 PM
If you are new to this you are going to have to experiment a bit, but you want to aim for a weight where the last couple of reps are tough while still maintaining proper form. If you can increase the weight then go for it, but do not compromise proper form for the extra weight. Good luck and welcome to FT !!!

--------------
There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened. We all have a choice. You can decide which type of person you want to be. I have always chosen to be in the first group.
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/11/16, 09:56 PM
Start with lower weights for a bit, get ya body used to the exercise and like KA stated, you'll have to adjust the weight accordingly, your body will let you know if it too heavy, example, if you are using 20lb dumbells and can only get 1 set of 12 reps in and your arms feel like #9 spahetti, drop some weight, and so on....

--------------
How do you feel? That is the question
But I forget.. you dont expect an easy answer
When something like a soul becomes
Initialized and folded up like paper dolls and little notes
You cant expect a bit of hope
So while youre outside looking in
Describing what you see
Remember what youre staring at is me.
----------
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Bill