Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

how healthy is this meal?

tim20le
tim20le
United States
2009/11/09, 09:21 PM
Ok, i have been making this meal alot lately, i was wondering if you would weigh in on its nutrition. seems fairly healthy to me...

-Steak - george foreman'd, cut up, tossed in 1 - 2 tablespoon of gen. tso's sauce

-jasmine rice - about 2 cups (measurement AFTER being cooked)

-vegetables, 2 cups (onions, green peppers, broccolli, and or celery) stir fried in 1/2 tbs peanut oil

--------------
-Tim
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/09, 09:27 PM
Sounds good but it is not as healthy as you think if you are trying to reduce or maintain.
Going backwards, stir fried veggies are done in oil, so you are adding fat to your diet. Consider steamed or baked veggies.
Jasmine rice is a simple carb, switch to brown for complex carb and fiber.
Gen tao sauce probably contains a processed sugar like glucose- fructose- corn syrup and or sugar, not good.
If your steak is a lean cut that's good.
As you can see I am not a fan of fried food. But thats just my opinion.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/11/10, 10:43 AM
Depending on how big and what kind of steak your talking about, you're probably around 800-900 calories with that meal alone.
The sauce and oil I'm guessing probably added 150-170 calories alone.
The concept is good, but the execution could be better. As carivan said; steaming the veggies is a good idea, as well as switching off to brown rice. Beef inherently has more calories than say chicken or fish, so if you're trying to lose weight I'd keep it to a couple meals a week.
If you like the sauce, see if there is any kind of low carb(i.e sugar less) sauce substitute, or try to really stretch it out. It's often the little things that get us in the long run.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/10, 03:21 PM
Good point !!

"It's often the little things that get us in the long run. "

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)