Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

how can i reduce my body fat %?

tacosluvyew
tacosluvyew
United States
2007/03/20, 10:37 AM
i'm currently 5'2 and weigh at 124lbs..i'm not looking to exactly lower my weight, i'm looking to lower my body fat % which is right now between 30-36, which is high for a woman my age (19). what can i do to lower my body fat? i already watch what i eat, i do a little bit of cardio and ab workouts during the week, and soon working in weight, but i know nothing about which workouts work better for different outcomes.....HELP??!! oh yeah, i have two young kids (under the age of 3) so something that i can fit in the early morning or at night before bed?

THANKS!

Shena:love:
CSix
CSix
Canada
2007/03/20, 11:13 AM
Hi,

Since you want a quick workout that will burn fat in the morning, I suggest that you try to do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) on a relatively empty stomach. By relatively, I mean that you drink only a protein shake right before to retain your muscles. About 30 mins after the workout, eat breakfast so that your body will not start to use your muscles as fuel (I don't really understand the specifics of this, but I'm sure you have to do this).

Also, could you tell us what your calorie intake is? You may be forcing your body into a starvation mode, which then results in a loss in weight, but stored fat (meaning a loss in muscle). Read BB1fit's diet thread, it tells you the specifics in dieting and retaining as much of your mass as possible, while still losing fat.

Thanks,
Csix.

--------------
Any advice given by me is to be used at your own risk :)
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/03/20, 11:24 AM
i also have 2 kids and squeeze in full routines after putting them to bed or before they wake up....its all a matter of how bad u want it, but answer me this what do you define as a little bit of cardio? too little and it isnt going to do anything for ya (as far as fat burning goes) but if you are 19 then i would hit weights by building up lean muscle mass you burn fat 24/7 turn your body into a fat burning machine rather than having to bust your butt hitting the cardio everyday to achieve it

--------------
Jason Fox 6\'1\" 380lbs
Problems are only opportunities in work clothes-Henry J. Kaiser
The only person\'s opinion that matters is the person in the mirror.-Original
tacosluvyew
tacosluvyew
United States
2007/03/20, 12:24 PM
thanks for the info! well i eat my 3 basic meals which arent HUGE portions but not too small either, i try to eat snacks inbetween too. problem is though grocery shopping....my husband isnt crazy about healthy food, and afraid that it could be to costy? any suggestions for inexpensive healthy food choices? or direct me to the right forum for that?

right now i walk/run with my husky mornings for 10-20 min.
this week sometime we're getting a weight system so i can start using that as well.

i feel totally undesirable(even though my husband tells me otherwise)....even before i had my kids, i wasn't in shape, always had the pudge in the middle...weights always been decent though, which i'm not worried about the scale, i'm worried about my appearance and want to look good period....not for having two kids!

so i pretty much don't have a fantastic workout regime...but i'm not sure on how to get started!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/03/20, 02:02 PM
http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/pro/Message.jsp?f_ix=3&t_ix=1674
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/03/20, 03:02 PM
Regarding healthy food being costly, I think that it's the other way around. It is usually the highly processed junk foods that jack up the grocery bill. Fruits and vegetables are a bargain compared with cookies, crackers, chips, etc. Eggs are cheap; you can buy a huge bag of fresh spinach that lasts ages at Costco for about $5.00. Oatmeal is cheap but even cheaper if you buy it in bulk at a health food store. Brown rice in bulk I get for 79 cents per lb. I guess the most expensive thing will be your chicken breasts, tuna, fish, etc. but I'm guessing that is probably in your diet already anyway.
tacosluvyew
tacosluvyew
United States
2007/03/20, 05:29 PM
mogreen,
what type of fish is the best for you? that i'm unsure of! i didn't think food would be cheaper at a health store, i assumed it would be more expensive! thanks for the tip, now i'll have to check into it to save!!
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/03/20, 06:27 PM
Food at a health food store is generally more expensive, except the grains that you can buy in bulk. But most 'healthy' food is found in your regular supermarket--fresh vegetables, eggs, meat, cottage cheese, yogurt. Eating healthy means eating whole foods that have been minimally processed. Even supplements such as fish oil caps you can get for a good price at Costco. As for which fish is best, I'm not an expert, but I think it is all good.

Check out the link asimmer provided above. She gives information on all kinds of cheap, afforable 'healthy' foods and covers fish as well.
tacosluvyew
tacosluvyew
United States
2007/03/20, 09:24 PM
i tried to see the link she left, but for some reason it won't let me, i just keep having to sign in....
i called a local health store, and she said the same thing, anything that is closest to the ground is good haha.

i wish i could see that list!!
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/03/20, 10:19 PM
Hmm...I had trouble at first. It brought me to the home page, but I stayed logged in and just repasted the link and it worked. Not sure...

Did you see the Grocery List for Healthy Eating thread in the stickies in this forum? Print that out...all basic, clean foods.
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/03/20, 10:21 PM
Or the grocery list for bodybuilders (I think it is the same?)