Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

HMB

Ironbod
Ironbod
United States
2002/01/26, 05:41 PM
I have seen many conflicting opinions on whether or not HMB works. Some companies claim it is useless while others say it works. Do any of you know if it works or not?
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/26, 07:43 PM
My trainer had me take it while training for competition. Initially I think it help me maintain strength and muscle retention as I was training daily, But I was take L-glutamine & creatine at the same time so I think it was that too. It is very expensive so when I finished the last bottle I decided the benefit wasn't worth the $$$$. EAS touts HMB but they also sell it! If you try it drop the other supplements to see if it works!
MuscleRage
MuscleRage
United States
2002/01/26, 11:37 PM
what is HMB?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/27, 12:53 AM
HMB, a breakthrough nutritional supplement, has been shown in scientific clinical testing to increase significantly the positive effects of weight-training exercise. HMB, which stands for ß-hydroxy-ß-methylbutyrate, is a metabolite of the amino acid leucine. It appears to upgrade the body's natural potential to build muscle and burn fat by minimizing the muscle tissue breakdown that occurs after all intense exercise sessions. HMB is licensed for production and sale by Metabolic Technologies, Inc.

-- Robert
Ironbod
Ironbod
United States
2002/01/27, 11:32 AM
Where did you find that information rpacheco, because I have seen EAS or Muscle Media publish things similar to that saying how great HMB is and then read in another magazine that it doesn't work, what gives?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/27, 11:57 AM
There's always going to be conflicting sides to supplementation. Most companies will promote creatine (for example) positively, while some medical opinions may view it more negatively. Obviously, each side has a vested interest. So, most likely, you'll end up deciding based on other people's experiences. When you see those negative articles, see if they're based on research and not some guys corner opinion.

BTW, the information came from www.netrition.com then search for product HMB.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/01/28, 09:49 PM
They used to give mega doses of HMB to race horses. Maybe they still do (I'm not sure). It gives horses strength and a lean, muscular look. Whether it works on us is the subject of a lot of debate, as you have found. If you want to try it, go ahead, but be prepared to pay big bucks for it. Don't change any other supplements while you're taking it or you'll never know if it truly works or not.