Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

Hi ! Another newbie here :)

Silentchylde
Silentchylde
United States
2002/04/16, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone! Found this place by sheer luck and must say it looks great thus far. Ok, a bit about me :). I've been a c5/6 quadriplegic for 3 years this May. This means I cannot walk, have limited ability to move my tummy, and next to no controlled grasp in my fingers (wrist extention is ok). During this time I fell into depression, eating to pass the time, and gained over 60 pounds (ouch!). I didn't care how I looked or how I was further harming my already injured body.
After taking a hard look at myself and not liking what I see, I've decided to get off my butt (so to speak) and try my darnedest to not only get my upper body stronger but drop the added 60 as well :). I know it'll be difficult but I must try and any advice, tips, web links, anything is greatly welcome. Right now all I've got to work with are 2 5lb and 2 1lb ankle weights with no access to a gym...but its better than nothing.
I really look forward to learning anything I can.
Thanks for reading

Silent
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/16, 08:56 PM
Hey, good luck with your endeavors. I know you'll find the support you need here. I would suggest you fill out your profile so that we know better how to help. As far as the losing weight try signing up for the ft program so you can get a nutritional guide.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/16, 09:01 PM
I'm sure anyone here would be more than happy to answer any questions you have (hey i'll even try to answer some if I think I can) anyway make sure you fill out your profile so we can know what your goals are.. as for the weights.. seems pretty low to really do too much.. although the ankle weights could be good for some lower ab exercise and some jogging in general.. you might want to consider some dumbells or other free weights.. even then still FT does have an excellent home training program that I don't think you need weights for.. its been a long time though since I've tried it so i've forgotten what its like.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/17, 10:16 AM
Welcome to ft! We're here to help you as much as we can, no matter what your physical condition may be! A good start would be to fill out your profile (as the others have already suggested). Next, you'll need to incorporate a healthier and sound diet.

As far as your workout, since you will be working with limited weights, we'll have to be creative in getting you back into shape. Also, since your target is going to be mostly upper body, you'll probably need to invest in dumbbells. FT doesn't have a program for quadriplegics, but I'm sure we can come up with a routine that will do.

Feel free to send me an e-mail (here at FT) and we can create a custom routine for you! I'm sure there are others that can contribute as well...

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**