Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Sticky Help with testing Android app

Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2020/03/04, 10:15 AM
Dear FreeTrainers.com community. We have been working on an app which can help you bring your FT workout to the gym in a more convenient app format, as opposed to having to browse the website in a browser on your phone.

Although it's still at a very early stage, the app has been published to Google Play store and it is available for testing and initial feedback.  If you would like to participate in the testing, please send an email to info@freetrainers.com from your email address associated with your Google Play android account. I will then add your email address to the list of testers and send you an invitation link.

I would really appreciate this early testing, even though the app is not in a final state yet. The main functionality is there (logging in, creating new accounts, creating workouts, changing workouts, browsing exercises, browsing calendar).  Saving workout progress has not yet been implemented and I will decide later if it will be, based on how many people use the app and how many people need this feature.

Feel free to discuss the app directly in here, or to send me feedback via email.

Thank you all for your continued patience and support.

Adrian
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2020/04/28, 11:41 AM
So far the app has been great.  Years ago I used to print my workouts and take them to the gym, or I would write them out.  Having the App has aleviated all that.  One thing that would be nice with that app would be not only to see your workout but to also be able to record your exercises, weight, reps and sets.  Not sure if that's in the works but I use an app to track my progress and it would be cool to use only the Freetrainers App for all.

Just a thought, but so far really good.
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2020/05/05, 11:09 AM
Thank you for the feedback Jac. I've received some feedback also via email, and I will add some new functionality soon and do some cleanup. Tracking workouts is not yet planned because it is a lot of work, but there will be some other changes which should hopefully improve usability.
i.am.mrs.olney
i.am.mrs.olney
United States
2020/06/22, 06:25 PM
Any plans for an Apple-based app, yet? 

Also, something to consider would be adding functionality that allows the calendar in the app to write what workout day you are on (shoulders/abs; legs/abs; etc) to your Google or iCal calendar. :-) I personally use Google calendar even though I have an iPhone, and I add everything to it. It would be nice if FT could do that for me, though.
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2020/06/23, 02:59 AM
The Android app can be found on the Play store, there is no need for an invitation anymore.

I pushed a small update which allows you to mark exercises as favourites. This is purely on the device and doesn't sync anything to your account.  It's only there to remind you which exercises you like doing.

The next step will be trying to make an iOS build for this.  The framework chosen, Flutter, is cross-platform and in theory I should be able to build an iOS version. I didn't want to do this before knowing that the Android version works though.

Regarding calendar integration, I will look into the complexities of this. The first step might just be local notifications on the phone which remind you every day what today's workout is, which you can enable and disable and configure at what time you'd like to be notified.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!
i.am.mrs.olney
i.am.mrs.olney
United States
2020/06/23, 09:59 AM (Edited: i.am.mrs.olney - 2020/07/01, 06:26 PM)
Nice!! Thank you so much, Adrian! I guess with notifications in the app calendar syncing wouldn’t really be necessary. I’m super excited for the app to come to iOS eventually. I just came back to FreeTrainers because it’s the only program that has ever really worked for me. Thanks for continuing to work on it.
Mrsmalleyes69
Mrsmalleyes69
Spain
2020/07/08, 12:02 PM
Huawei isn't supported by Google anymore so we don't have play store so I was wondering if you could make it for huawei I'm not sure how it works but it would be amazing if you could thanks alot^^
Cyclist2000
Cyclist2000
United States
2020/10/26, 02:06 PM
Hey Adrian. Love the app so far. Just wanted to echo what JAC said above. i would love to be able to record which activities I do in the gym and with how much weight!
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2020/10/27, 06:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback and the nice reviews on the Play Store!  It makes me really happy to know that people are using the app!

I just got my hands on an iPhone, so I will be releasing the exact same app on the Apple store. The app is already on there, but I needed the phone for final testing and making screenshots.

After this, I will update the website with the links to the respective app stores. I will also add a link to download the Android APK directly from the FT website, in case some people don't have access to the Play store.

Regarding recording exericses, weights, reps, this will be the next step. I wanted to get the iOS version out before doing any further development.
i.am.mrs.olney
i.am.mrs.olney
United States
2020/10/27, 05:56 PM
OMG THANK YOU ADRIAN!!! I'm so freaking stoked on the iPhone app! I can't wait to get it. :D
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2020/10/28, 12:24 PM
The iOS app was approved today, here is the link

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/freetrainers/id1529565144

I'm curious to hear some feedback from that as well, the app itself is nearly identical to the Android one. The only difference is that I had to disable Facebook and Google login, because then I would have been forced to introduce Apple login as well, which I don't have the time for right now.
i.am.mrs.olney
i.am.mrs.olney
United States
2020/11/02, 05:33 PM
Adrian
The iOS app was approved today, here is the link

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/freetrainers/id1529565144

I'm curious to hear some feedback from that as well, the app itself is nearly identical to the Android one. The only difference is that I had to disable Facebook and Google login, because then I would have been forced to introduce Apple login as well, which I don't have the time for right now.

---

THANK YOU! I will start testing it tonight!

Question: does it automatically log the workout? I just downloaded it, and I don't see anywhere to save it when I'm done.
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2020/11/03, 02:05 AM
i.am.mrs.olney

Question: does it automatically log the workout? I just downloaded it, and I don't see anywhere to save it when I'm done.

---

Hi, not yet, that will be the next version. This initial version was more of a way to get an idea if people would actually use the app, before investing more time in new features.
i.am.mrs.olney
i.am.mrs.olney
United States
2021/02/08, 04:16 PM
Adrian
i.am.mrs.olney

---

Hi, not yet, that will be the next version. This initial version was more of a way to get an idea if people would actually use the app, before investing more time in new features.

--- I love it so far! I've been out of commission with a mild shoulder issue, but I'm getting back at it this week!